Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
An Opportune Attack (or, Buna Run)

Players: 1
Gaming Surface: 30cm x 90cm or more (close enough to 1' x 3')
Axis Player: 1 Mitsubishi A6M2 Reisen
Rules Needed: Strafing and Fuel

Place 3 ground troop cards onto the gaming surface, at least 30cm from the starting edge (choose either the right or left short side). Ground troop cards should be gently tossed onto the surface so that their exact position and orientation is somewhat haphazard.

The Reisen may start anywhere along the start edge facing directly towards the exit edge.

The short sides of the ground troop cards represent the trail that the men are following away from the start position of the Reisen. The long sides of the cards represent high trees and jungle that block fire.

Strafing attacks can only come from the short sides of the target cards. For game purposes, at least half of the Reisen's firing arc (from the blue line to the edge) must be lined up with the short side of the target to attack.

Variant one:

In one pass, the Reisen must attempt to destroy all ground targets by strafing. The Reisen is returning from another mission and only has 25 fuel in his tanks.

The plane starts at one short edge of the gaming surface and exits off the other short edge. No Immelmanns are permitted. Second passes are not permitted over any target.

Variant two.

Give the ground troops use of the "A" manuever deck. Remove the climb and dive cards. The ground troops shall move towards the exit edge in leapfrog fashion.

Draw a random maneuver card, place it in front of the troop card nearest the exit edge (away from the start edge) and pick up the troop card furthest from the exit edge to place it in the orientation of the slowest maneuver. Discard each used maneuver. Shuffle the discards if the deck is exhausted.

Given the random nature of their movement, any edge is a legal escape edge for the troops. The Kokoda Trail, my inspiration for this little scenario is a very switch-backed trail.

The Reisen is not restricted in maneuvers. Give the plane 30 fuel. If the plane elimninates all targets before they exit the map, the player wins. If any of the troops escape off any edge, the player loses.

Play-testing either game:

If the game goes too easily, lower your starting fuel by 5 at a try until the game feels challenging. Or, play with the orientations of your targets to make sharper turns between attacks. For the second Variant, try moving the start position of the troops over by 15cm (6").

Alternately, if the game seems impossible, first try changing the orientations of your targets to reduce the amount of turning you must do between attacks, then try bumping up your fuel (by 5 at a try). Don't alter the start position of the targets or you won't have room to maneuver.

I've not bothered inserting the altitude rules into these scenarios. If you have any ideas (after you've played a few times through), please post them here.

Any questions, notices of glaring omissions, or comments, please post 'em for all to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice proposal! And using fuel for solo scenarios is a smart idea.

I'd only say that I'd move the troops with the short arrow of an A deck every 2 or 3 cards of the airplane. After all they are ground troops, so far slower than a Spitfire (even wneh the latter tries to slow down).

Let us know how playtesting goes!

Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
First few strafing runs at a stationary target.

In the first run, I was lightly damaged, but could not make the turn sharp enough to take out the last group and still have fuel to escape.

In the second run, getting caught on fire really put a damper on my attack plans. The Rudder Jam also occurred at an un-opportune time. Two out of three targets destroyed.

I'd have to say that allowing the troops to shoot "through the trees" when you cannot tips the scale a tad more in their favour. Perhaps permitting them to take pot shots every other turn and only at close range (less than half of short-range) would be less cruel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.