Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject gives it all!! I've tried the crayons that come with the game and they are really hard to get out. I was thinking instead to use dry erasable markers. Anyone had tried this? Any thoughs?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try China Markers. You can get them in different colors from an art supply store, and they come off very easily.

I've not tried it with dry-erase markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I use vis-a-vis markers on a plastic overlay. Bright colors, easy to wipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can order maps from Mayfair Games for most (if not all) the Empire Builder series that work well with water-based transparency markers (e.g. Vis-a-Vis). Check their Web site for details.

If you don't want to pay the shipping cost from the USA Midwest to Europe, use of china markers or a plastic wrap with water-based transparency markers works as well. If you do use alternative markers on the board, make sure you test each color in a corner of the map to ensure that you can completely remove the marks before using them in a game.

I wouldn't recommend the dry erase markers used on porcelain boards - they're designed solely for that purpose, and may leave a permanent mark on other surfaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like dry-erase, they wipe/brush off too easily. We generally put something (glass/plexiglass/etc) sheet over the board and use wet-erase markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China markers are highly recommended. Many art supply stores sell them. Here's an online dealer:

http://www.rexart.com/china_markers.html

I don't recommend white or yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. A really heap of helpful stuff here. I must go down to my local craft store to check on some of this itens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Lew
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are the china markers erasable or do we need some sort of layer (like plexiglass for example) over the game board?

Edit: Never mind. China markers are actually pencils! The name of the product is misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are grease pencils. They are called China Markers because auctioneers and antique stores use them to mark the prices on china dishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris and Scott, thanks for the suggestion of china markers. You're right, they work much better. (And now I know what they're called!)

As an aside, I bought china markers to put in my daughter's Christmas stocking when she was little. As predicted, she had as much fun "sharpening" her pencils as I did at that age, and it was fun to see her enjoy a present from Santa that was so simple and low tech. Score one for Mommy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.