Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Tier auf Tier (Animal on Animal) is a light dexterity game aimed at children by Haba. The game itself is pure simplicity - on your turn you roll a die which determines your stacking action, and then (in most cases), you choose from your pieces which animal or animals to stack on the pile. One side has your opponents pick a piece and one side allows you to give a piece to another player to place. Succeed and your turn is done, fail and you take animals back to your collection. The first player to rid themselves of their collection of pieces is the winner. The game is language independent and the instructions come in one booklet in multiple languages.
Components
All wood. Nice hardwood pieces that are the perfect weight - neither too light nor too heavy. They are well formed/shaped, smooth, and nicely painted in bright colors with simple "faces". The single game die is a wooden 6-sider with special symbols. Each player has the same set of animals and the base of this pile is a unique piece - the crocodile. This is a well made game that should stand up for some time.
Highs
- Simple to learn and play
- Plays quickly. This makes a good dexterity filler for 2-4 players.
- Attractive pieces will appeal to children
Lows
- Its a dexterity game. If you hate this type of game, or are bad at them, you will not like this.
Conclusion
This one rates a 6.5/10 for me. Its not a bad game, but not one to get played all the time either. For adults, its a good filler. For children, its appealing with its bright animals and simple game play. My youngest isn't very steady and tends to throw the animals on top, but I think a couple years from now, I'll be LUCKY to ever beat either of them. The hardest part of playing with the kids is keeping them from bumping the table the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great.

I've got this for my son's upcoming birthday and I'm sure he'll love it.

Is it true that you can combine 2 sets for an even betteer game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:
Great.

I've got this for my son's upcoming birthday and I'm sure he'll love it.

You could certainly do that to allow more players - its arguable whether it would be better or not. At a certain point, you'll find the stack reaches a critical mass where its pretty hard to put something on without knocking it over. I doubt that more players would make the stack higher, you'd probably just see more frequent pile collapses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:

Maybe you are referring to my sequential set variant for two players? If so, the box includes four sets of animals. Put another way, there are four of each type of block in the box (except the alligator). I would not advise combining two whole boxes of this game.

I'll leave it to you and others to weigh in on what's true/better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yu-Tung Lin
Taiwan
Fresh Meadows
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a nice little game to have.

Since we do play some game have to think and this little fun game just fits so well after we get tired :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.