Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all, I got this game for Christmas and I've played it 2 times so far and I love it. We played hideously incorrectly the first time (we overlooked the leaders only adjacent to temples rule), and the second time we fixed that but still played incorrectly (we only used adjacent colors as supporters in external conflicts, and viewed all regions as "kingdoms" therefore preventing any leader from unifying two regions).

Anyways, I wanted to ask this to make sure we play right next time. I've looked through the rulebook several times, and I was wondering if there is any rule preventing me from ruining someone else's monument construction. For example, they have 3 of the 4 red tiles of the square on the board, and on my turn I complete the square with a green tile to keep them from building a red monument. They may get the green victory point, but at least I keep them from building it. Is this acceptable? I don't see anything in the rulebook explicitly forbidding this. If I am right, is this just a plain bad play, and if so why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you propose is legal, just as it is legal to complete a monument for another player and deny that player the support of those tiles just as you unify two kingdoms and initiate an external conflict.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As well as playing the 4th red tile in the square and opting to not create the monument. It is the active player's choice whether or not to turn 4 touching tiles into a monument and if he opts not to, those 4 tiles will never be turned into a monument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legal but probably not wise (unless you score a point off the tile that you place).

The best way to respond to an opponent's monument is to take it, or build one of your own. Doing neither is the best way to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume G.
Switzerland
Genève
flag msg tools
geneva.swissgo.org
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Legal but probably not wise (unless you score a point off the tile that you place).

The best way to respond to an opponent's monument is to take it, or build one of your own. Doing neither is the best way to lose.

Hi Marshall,
Happy New Year !
Yes, you're probably fine with the fact of adding a tile to end an opponent's monument if you have one leader in that kingdom to get the VP.
Now, if you're not gaining the VP, it depends if you can sacrifice some of your progress (assuming you're ahead or more balanced) to slow this specific opponent... It may be worth. Usually, you want to avoid "gifts" to your opponent but I can imagine situations when it's a totally valid option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could plop down a disaster tile on that 4th space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
Or you could plop down a disaster tile on that 4th space.
? I thought you couldn't play disasters on blank spaces? So you would have to plop your disaster on one of the three already-filled spaces, thus also preventing a monument.

Although usually I would save the disasters for something more spectacular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume G.
Switzerland
Genève
flag msg tools
geneva.swissgo.org
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, nothing prevents you from playing a disaster tile on an empty square. It is a viable option. The only forbidden spaces are the monuments and the temples holding a treasure.

It's confirmed in the FAQ from Chris Lawson:
http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/e-t/faq.htm#Cata...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.