Subject: Wrong descriptions and new games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Helmut Lehr
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,
I'm from Germany and pretty new here.
Looking through my collection I found out that I own games not listed here.
I added some 3-4 days ago, but could not yet see them.
I will add some more, but:
How much time does it take?

Furtheron, I found wrong dates, printing errors, aso.
How can I corrct them?
Or whom can I contact to tell about that?

CU
Gernspieler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New games and changes need to approved by a moderator, so this can take a little while. To submit a change in date, etc. you can use the "submit corrections" option in the upper right corner of the game's entry. If there is something wrong with the description, you can edit that yourself.

BTW, I'm amazed that you own several games that are not in the database. As far as commercial publications go, this site is pretty comprehensive.

PS: If you look under your profile for contributions, you can see how many games you have submitted, and how many are pending approval. That's quite a collection you have there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Lehr
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answer, Nico!
There will be a lot more in the next days. I can tell you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do be sure to thoroughly search the database. It might be that tht game is there in the database, just not under the German title. If the game is modern and widespread, there's a very large chance that it already is entered into the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
If the game is modern and widespread, there's a very large chance that it already is entered into the database.

This isn't always so. I just entered a game from 1992 by Milton Bradley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Lehr
Germany
flag msg tools
I only enter a new game after having goten no answer from the system after several different trials.
I saw that the Bütehorn-Collection is not complete. I am astonished that I have Bütehorn-games that are not listed here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having games from smaller non-American publishers makes it probable to have them not listed here yet.

In Germany there are some publishers selling great wooden sets like Gerhards or Giseh, that are quite uncommon anywhere else.

BGG is by far not complete, how should it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Lehr
Germany
flag msg tools
You may be right, Daniel, but it is astonishing for me that the list of Bütehorn games is not complete here.
I don't know how long this site exists, but I would assume that some German experts were working on it, the more I was amazed to recognize "holes" here in old game lists.
I am a little embarrassed to be here as a newcomer and tell people here what they missed so far to complete....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are different websites with different aims.

If you look at the publisher "Abel Klinger", there are only 2 games here (one is my "Der Räuber Hotzenplotz", the other one "In 80 Tagen um die Welt", while at the European Society of Game-Collectors http://www.e-s-g.eu they name 123 games - many of them classics or doubled, but you can see easily the difference.

I think, BGG is, besides that it is an mostly american site with an international touch - a site for people who play games as a hobby, not so much collecting them.

The other side is, if you submit a game here, it has to have further data, so in many cases of old games, people know about their existence, but cannot say much about it. So, where is the use then, having a kind of "blank" entry with the name, year and publisher - without any further info? For the gamers here, it is worthless - they will never purchase it and never play it. The vast majority want to read and look at pictures of their favourite games and sharing opinions and variants about the top 500!

We are talking about 959,987 Unique Visitors in December 2007 - look at the search words leading them to BGG:

boardgamegeek
board game geek
bgg
settlers of catan
board games
boardgame geek
risk
mad gab
monopoly
carcassonne
boardgamegeek.com
blokus
yahtzee
clue
pictionary
www.boardgamegeek.com
heroscape
mahjong
board game
board game reviews
apples to apples
ticket to ride
battleground
qwirkle
boggle
the game of life
stratego

It`s okay with me - I know, where to look at the other data, if I want them.

Welcome, by the way - spielbox.de lässt grüßen!

P.S.: This site exists since 2000, so many of the hardcore-olschool collectors from "Good ol`Europe" had much time to establish more complete lists of all existing games before ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
If the game is modern and widespread, there's a very large chance that it already is entered into the database.

This isn't always so. I just entered a game from 1992 by Milton Bradley.

Probably. I was just greatly amazed that the majority of my weird games from Japan were entered here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernspieler wrote:
I don't know how long this site exists, but I would assume that some German experts were working on it, the more I was amazed to recognize "holes" here in old game lists.
I am a little embarrassed to be here as a newcomer and tell people here what they missed so far to complete....

There are no people 'working' on it.
People add new games they read about and find interesting. They add old games they own or played. But i doubt there are people adding games just to complete the database.

For your info: The list of pending games can be found here.
Adding a game might take between an hour and several weeks, depending on when the admins find the time to process it. Admins do it in their free time, they are not working for the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

Holy sh…!!

I never imagined there were so many games in the queue! No wonder it takes time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Werbaer wrote:
There are no people 'working' on it.
People add new games they read about and find interesting. They add old games they own or played. But i doubt there are people adding games just to complete the database.

Well, yes and no. Some users do take it upon themselves to add games from a particular publisher into the database to "complete" data. I personally have been adding games listed in an old price-guide book in order to get the data into the database.

Zimeon wrote:
Werbaer wrote:

Holy sh…!!

I never imagined there were so many games in the queue! No wonder it takes time.

Actually, it was backed up so far because I was on vacation for a week. Throughout the semester the list can back up on me a little bit, but I usually keep it under 25 (and the games that remain the the queue are the "on-the-fence" items or stuff that needs a little information or clarification before approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember adding some six games at the same time, and they were approved the same day. That was impressive.

Then again, about everything with this whole site is impressive.

Just need to find the time to take some nice photos of the games now…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernspieler wrote:
Hi,
I'm from Germany and pretty new here.
Looking through my collection I found out that I own games not listed here.
I added some 3-4 days ago, but could not yet see them.
I will add some more, but:
How much time does it take?

WELCOME TO BoardGameGeek Gernspieler!!! cool

Nice of you to take the time to submit all your unique games to the queue.

The simple answer to your question would be... as long as it takes.

The more complex answer is it depends. As others have pointed out, the game submission queue is indeed HUGE. Despite being 3 to 4 days already, I'd wait even longer as it looks like a while before the mods get to your entries. I submitted a game last month and it took several days.

Also, if you check your mailbox (via the "Mailbox" link at the very top left of any BGG page, it'll indicate when you have new mail), your inbox will contain a message saying You've Got GeekGold!. The body of the message will say something like
Congratulations, you've received GeekGold for your recent submission of the game: {insert name of game here}.
Thank you very much!

--
Board Game Geek Administrators (Aldie, Derk, et al.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.