Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow Beach - a session report with opinions.

I am a huge fan of the Memoir series but have neglected it recently while I waited for the release of the Air Pack. Now it's out I had the first opportuniy to try the Airplane rules in the first official scenario: Yellow Beach.

This is a Beach Landing scenario which, bar an artillery unit on the Axis side, is entirely Infantry based. Due to sea cliffs there are two clearly defined choke points which the attackers have no choice but to use.

Our first game we leapt in to the breach playing our Air Sortie cards. This game was quick and fun but there was no real sense of the Worth of the Airplane units. This was an evenly matched game and ended through a combination of the Allies wiping out the Artillery and using "Their Finest Hour" to run to the Bunker.

The second game was more interesting. Neither of us used our Air Sortie cards at the start. Instead we started unit advancement and positioning.
Playing the Allies I moved my right-most 2 units and removed the Barbed Wire. The Axis responded by moving all 4 infantry to create an obvious death-alley for my troops. That was the right flank shut down effectively.

On the left flank I removed the barbed wire and made an attempt to get rid of the sandbagged defenders. This failed and I quite quickly lost 3 units though the Axis suffered noticable losses also.
I ran a rapid retreat and thanked my lucky stars that I had a "Dig In" card. All 4 remaining beach units became protected.

It's at this point that a traditional Memoir game would become bogged down and agonising. I would need to attack but the defences would be too strong and I too weak, yet it was at this crucial point that I brought out my Spitfire and he brought out his 109.

In short order, using exclusively Strafing attacks we harassed each others units. His were already weakened and I rather luckily wiped out 2 defenders with three succesive rols getting grenades, score = 3/2. His 109 came to harass my beach bound units and I countered with positioning my Spitfire next to him which made him roll 3 dice for an Air Check. He failed and I got a medal! I then lost another unit to Barrage - 4/3.

At this point the cards ran out. I needed to keep the Spitfire flying but in the end I had to let it go. All the while on the Right Flank the Artillery were making steady progress killing my sandbagged unit. One by one the soldiers fell until impotently the last man succumbed to hot shell death. Final Score = 5/3.

We agreed that the Air rules were excellent, a powerful tool to bring some controlled unpredictability to the game. Used too early and/or unnecessarily they cause too much focus to be diverted away from the main tactics. Used at the right time WHEN NEEDED they are brilliant.
Also they are not decisive thanks to a lot of limiting factors - such as not having the right cards or the need to end a move somewhere relatively safe. Often there was a feeling of too many tempting targets yet nowhere to end a move which would not force an Air Check of 3 or 4 dice.

For us all future games will include the Air Sortie rules if the scenario allows. Both were excellent games and happily reinjected a love for an already highly regarded series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report! You give a nice feel for the new expansion. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making me want to pick up this expansion just a bit more than I did before. If this keeps up, I'll have to negotiate with the Misses soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report Rich. Still waiting for my copy of Air Pack to arrive... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.