Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this has been answered a lot before, but I'm asking anyway… What kind of language level is the game? It is "playable as long as everyone understands the title of the cards" or "a lot of text on the cards, but they're open, so if 1 person knows German, (s)he can explain" or is it "a lot of text on the cards, and pretty many, and they're supposed to be hidden, so unless all players can read the cards, it's unplayable" (sort of like Cities and Kights of Catan yet worse)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Zimeon wrote:
"a lot of text on the cards, and pretty many, and they're supposed to be hidden, so unless all players can read the cards, it's unplayable"?

Unless you play the family game without the use of the cards (which I would suggest for first timers anyway), that would be the correct answer. It's probably not a big deal for one person (the explainer) to see everyone's cards, since very likely he'll forget by the time the game gets going. If you really want to try, give everyone handouts of the translation of the cards and have them look through it on their own. Sure it'll probably be slow, but it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
(sort of like Cities and Kights of Catan yet worse)?

Definitely worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most gamers in my group know enough German to play most German games, but not this one. The text on several cards are simply too complex to understand unless you are well-versed in German.

Even *I* have explained some cards wrongly! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Norman's "Agricola Hand Generator" program is the best solution to this problem. The program randomly selects cards for each player based on number of players and which decks you want to use. It then prints out separate translation sheets to be handed out to the players at the beginning of the game.

This has changed the game for us completely! Even playing with children is possible now with cards! They each have translation sheets only for the 14 cards they hold.

Available in the links section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.