Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know what my problem is. I am trying an hoping to do too much before the end of the game. Barring any other factors, am I correct that the average of 3 dice will be 9.5 (say 10)? If so, then if you're getting frustrated when you roll 11s and 12s you need to realize you're actually rolling better than average. There are obvious ways to augment this number, like the Chapel for low rolls and Inn-Market-Farm, but if I stop going for those I just need to be realistic and be happy if I can get 2-3 resources per turn. It seems to me that the game is all about resources. Because of this I've also pledged to NOT spend my hard earned resources to recruit any soldiers anymore, except for the last battle of course. I need to remember that it is sometimes possible to get 3 resources when rolling 10, if one of the numbers is a two (use the 2 and the 8). Anyway, I don't know how many others have lost this game because they thought they'd have plenty of time to fill up 3 of the 5 rows, when in truth you're doing well to complete 2 of them. I need to remind myself that I have only 15 resource opportunities in the entire game (3 seasons per year). If you average between 2 and 3 resources per season you will only have 30-45 resources over the course of the entire game. None of this is profound, and its just a mental note to myself anyway. Then again, as newbies, we've had some games where the WINNER had less than 30 points, so what do I know?

Go ahead and let me know if I'm wrong about all this, but be gentle please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The average roll of three dice is 10.5 not 9.5. Getting an extra white die bumps that up to 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget you can get additional ressources in phase 1, through white dice/+2 markers, and through some buildings (merchants, crane).
This should do for an average of 3 resources per season, i.e. 45 resources per game. The building lines cost 20, 18, 17, 14 and 13 resources. Thus, you should be able to easily get any 2 full lines plus three buildings of a third one.
That's btw +/-1 building the usual outcome of our (2player) games.

The worst roll possible (in regards to resources) is 1-1-5, earning you only one ressource.
There are many 'best' results, earning you 7 resources (for example 6-6-4 (farm die) for 4gold + 6-5 (bonus die from phase 1) + market place for 3 stone.
Even with only 3 dice, you can get 5 resources (6-6 + market for 13 - 3 stone, 6 + +2-marker for 8 - 2gold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're clearly taking this game too seriously. Its a game with 21 dice.

Its safe to say there's going to be some random element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also buildings which either grant extra resources or give discounts to further builds, so don't forget to include that in your calculations. Oh, and it's a dice-driven game, so any plan will most likely have to go out the window with one or 2 bad rolls anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.