Subject: The Horror is Growing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a variant but a request for someone to invent one.

Each of the GOOs has an influence on the game, mostly through the cultists. I would like to see a variant for each GOO that increases their influence on play as the doom tokens mount up, say every 25% of the total necessary. If its done right it makes hanging around to take on the GOO more dangerous and puts a bit of a hurry up on the players.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You could link the "growing effects" to the lines of Doom Tokens already filled.
For example:
0 filled lines = Worshippers affected as described on the AO sheet, but no other effect;
1 filled line = the permanent ability of the AO (Icy Winds, Dreams of Madness, etc.) is applied from now on;
2 lines filled = something else (e.g. AO attacks as described on its sheet every other turn);
3 lines filled = final combat!
(Yig has only two lines, all the others have three)

This keeps the AOs roughly as difficult as they usually are (since you get an easier early game, but a harder late game).

If you want to make them harder, in addition to what they already do, you'll need to devise something more complex (e.g. a deck of "Doom cards", taliored for each AO even if some cards could be present in different decks, with such a card drawn whenever a token is placed on the Doom track; they could be permanent or include a clause for discarding).

Personally, I've found their special abilities (even more than the different effects on their worshippers) enough to differentiate the exeperience of facing one or the other, but there's definitely room for additional customization (see the Heralds for an attempt by FFG itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Pędich
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Isn't that a good idea? make some heralds, whose powers increase as more doom tokens are added. Maybe I'll try to make some if I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Its a nice idea but surely the Ancients can only do so much whilst they're asleep! snore
The bit about the Ancients that I wanted changing was the Final Battle- they are Gods after all!
I wanted them to be able to annhilate investigators every so often and turn them inside out or something dire and violent like that.
As it turns out, Kingsport Horror is going to have Final Battle cards that do exactly that kind of thing, so er... good! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The bit about the Ancients that I wanted changing was the Final Battle- they are Gods after all!

Thematically, the Ancients or GOOs are not gods- they are just so alien and divorced from our human understanding, reality and plane of exsistance that they seem like gods. Humans, in strict Lovecraftian text, just impose the cult and god aspect on them as a way to understand them or perhapes to begin to comprehend them.

My point is that while very powerful, they are not all powerful. After all if they were, why would Cthulhu be asleep in a sunken city instead of going all Cloverfield on Arkham city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of using the number of lines filled up. Perhaps if the 2nd last line is filled then something about the GOOs sleeping power increases. e.g. The Wendigo's icy winds could cause 2 stamina loss or perhaps reach in to locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.