Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, having started dating my wonderfully gorgeous girlfriend late last year, i decided to try and get her to play a real boardgame, always a problem with exs in the past!

In recent parties it's been pretty easy to pull out Apples to Apples and have a riot and due to her being, well, a bit of a goth (she'll love me for that! ) i started her on a few games of Gloom. Well, she liked that (the theme mainly, although did complain a little when i continually beat her...), and i had just sold War of The Ring, so popped down to teh local games store to see if i could find anything we could both play that was a bit more complex, but still heavy on theme.

And so 2 days later, there we were one evening with the game set up, and her saying that she hoped it wasn't too complicated. Of course, she wanted to play the zombies (well, so did i, but being a gentleman i of course deferred) so i got lumbered with the heroes.

We played the basic version at first, and I ended up with the Quarterback, Sherrif's son, Cheerleader and Drifter, so basically a bunch of kids and a crazy older guy.

Obviously school had just ended, as the three kids all started together in the centre of the board, with the drifter looking on from the edge of the map. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy game by the fact by the end of the zombie turn all 14 zombies were already on the board!

My hand was initially stacked with 'At Last' (I think that is the name) which were nigh on useless as all they did were remove blocked room counters which were generally filled with zombies and avoided anyway!

The first 7 turns or so was a pretty quiet affair, a few zombies got into a fight with some of the kids as they looked for objects, but generally hero and zombie cards cancelled each other out. The kids got slightly injured, but rested and healed and one or two zombies were killed. My main plan was to use the drifter to burn through the deck, tooling up and discarding anything needed from the other rooms.

However, guns were not forthcoming, Billy ended up with an empty pistol, and finally the quarterback found the baseball bat.

I realised with not much time left before nightfall, i had to go on the attack. the Quarterback was my main man, while the other two kids searched for weapons and single zombies and the drifter unsuccessfully looked for more useful stuff.

The Quarterback started swinging, and zombies started falling, Billy and the Cheerleader continually got bitten, but nothing too bad, and managed to hang on with a few 'just a scratches', but it just wasn't going fast enough for me.

With 2 turns to go, there were still only 6 dead zombies (9 more needed), when the game suddenly took a bad turn. My poor old quarterback got triple-teamed and went down fighting, the Cheerleader got injured and Billy was surrounded in the church, it looked like it was all over.

I knew i had to be aggressive though, and even with the odds stacked against me, i got all characters to draw cards. The cheeleader got a meat cleaver, the drifter the chainsaw, and billy drew another just a scratch.

Suddenly all hell broke loose. The cheeleader became possessed, took down 2 zombies on my turn and then another 2 the next, Billy managed two double 3's, both enough to wipe out some weak zombies, and the drifter easily chopped up the nearest 2 zombies.

With 1 turn left, 14 zombies were dead, 2 would have to attack the drifter (uninjured) this turn, i had 'just a scratch' left just in case, i had turned it around from nowhere.

So there i was, ready to take the mickey (don't worry, we both do that to each other) and she draws her next zombie card from the deck...reads it.....'How many cards are left in your Hero Deck?'....'Why?'....'Oh, just because i have to play this immediately'....

Places the 'discard top 10 cards from the Hero deck' on the table....

I read it....groan.....count the number of cards in the hero Deck....1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9........zombie

The gloating begins....

Is that the closest game ever, the drifter was almost guaranteed a kill later that turn.

Next time i'll make sure i have had a quick scan of the zombie cards before coming up with an 'unbeatable' drifter strategy....

Anyway, the important thing is she loved the game, or more accurately loved the theme and beating me at it... Especially good was the fact she didn't ask me a question about a single card for the whole game, i think she has potential to be a true gamer! devil

Mike........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report. Welcome to couples gaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report!! Enjoy reading it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice reporting - so glad I just ordered this game. Sounds like you may have a keeper - and she won her first game - too cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Miller
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVED reading this session report! Well done!

We got this game from our Secret Santa this year. My husband is a horror fanatic...me? Not so much. But since we opened this game I was fascinated with it, and after reading your session, I'm excited to get it on the table!

Thanks for a great read zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs v S
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game. The only goth-themed game I know of is Chez Goth, and Chez Dork has some goth references. Greed Quest and Fight: Club Foglio have goth characters, but not theme.

Uh... Is there a goth geeklist?

seriously, try games like The Fury of Dracula, Arkham Horror or Betrayal at the House on the Hill, all favorites with Goth girls I dated and/or played games with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cunkelman
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job!

I'm lucky and married a woman that decided it was easier to join me than to argue... it seems you are well on your way to actually cultivating a true gamer!

I have not played it just yet, but being a vampire fan, I have been recommended to try out Vampire: Prince of the City, a White Wolf product (the lords of all things goth/vampire in CCG's (Jyhad, or Vampire the Eternal Struggle), role playing, LARP, and now venturing into boardgames...)

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is a great game alround. First game (Die Zombies) my wife played she was Jenny, being the noble hero i roll on over with Drifter to protect the little lady since it was her first game. Long story short she topped 7 zombies with a combination of dynamite, shotgun, flare and kung fu...all i did was hand off the dynamite and sucked up some heavy humility when two times she was better equipped to fight zombies in our square (including the unarmed kung fu kill whilst holdin the torch)...and no doubt me cowering behind her behind admiring the view.

Wonderful fun to be taken with a pinch of salt and tequila!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David David
msg tools
When I first started dating my girlfriend would make fun of me for playing certain video games... Now she is a WoW fanatic.

Now we have always played "games" but they were not my cup of tea persay... Not a huge fan of the Apples to Apples, or the beeping pass around the room guess the word game (hell if I remember the name). But a couple of weeks ago I was having a gaming sessions with some friends when she got home from work and she wanted to try.

So we played "History of the World". She was playing with 4 guys that have all played the game many times... She ended up getting 2cd place, and only lost out by 1 point due to the bonus points from the round winning tokens. (not to mention screwed me over repeatedly by passing me some bad epoch armies, which she thuroughly enjoyed)

Now I just got this game, and am hoping it goes much the same as your session...

Turning females into nerds one day at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.