Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at my game played stats recently and realized how sporadic my game playing has been. This got me thinking about whether or not I really love playing games or not (and I've realize that I really love playing games - board or otherwise...) and how often I've turned down a game in the last month or so (and my extension how this has cost me some quality one-on-one time with a son who may not want to spend so much time with me once he gets a bit older...).

This made me decide to be more deliberate in the way I do things so I am going to try to get a game a day in for the whole year. Being at least somewhat realistic I realize that I'm not likely to actually get a game in each and every day due to other life commitments (family, friends, work, etc), but I'm going to try to get in at least as many games as there are in each month on a monthly basis and at least 365 games by the end of the year. Hopefully, I'll be able to make this and get in a good cross section of games rather than just a bunch of lightweight/beer & pretzel games (not that I object to playing these by any means...).

Anyways, I'll update this with my games played from time-to-time over the coming year. At least monthly. I may include any observations I make about how things go around the game plays as well. So far I think I'm off to a decent start having gotten in ten games in the first nine days of the year.

PS - Should this go in the blog section instead of being in a forum post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coo,

Would be interesting to see how it goes

You have my attention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
2008 is a leap year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shouldn't it be plays rather than games? The latter denotes different and separate titles each time, which would be quite an accomplishment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with this. I'd love to be able to get in a game a day on average, but the lack of time and regular access to gamers to play with makes that unlikely. According to BGG (which I try to keep up-to-date) I had 163 plays in 2007 and 255 in 2006. Quite the drop over a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that's still 1 every 2/3 days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chaz Donnell wrote:
Iand how often I've turned down a game in the last month or so (and my extension how this has cost me some quality one-on-one time with a son who may not want to spend so much time with me once he gets a bit older...).

Do you meant that you're turning down game-playing opportunities to spend time with you son (good!) or that you are turning down opportunities to play games *with* your son (bad!)?

I turn down a lot of game-playing to spend time with my daughter, for exactly the reason you mention--I am well aware that there will come a time when Dad is not the most-favored-play-partner, and I seriously aim to get as much time with her as I possibly can before that happens. It is one of the things that, as an older parent, is startlingly clear, which would have been obscured during my more self-focused youth. If only I had the energy of my 20s or 30s--dang trade-offs, always messing things up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:
But that's still 1 every 2/3 days

Yeh, all things considered it's not bad. Most my of gaming comes in clumps though generally, like at conventions or on the sort of 2-3 day gaming affair that comes once or twice a year. Then I'll go one or two months (like I did this fall) without gaming at all. That's what I resolve for 2008 - more gaming regularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:
Shouldn't it be plays rather than games? The latter denotes different and separate titles each time, which would be quite an accomplishment.

I meant plays rather than games (I don't normally make the difference since each play is a unique gaming experience to me...). Of course, if I can pull off that many different games (titles) I'd been even happier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprydle wrote:
Chaz Donnell wrote:
Iand how often I've turned down a game in the last month or so (and my extension how this has cost me some quality one-on-one time with a son who may not want to spend so much time with me once he gets a bit older...).

Do you meant that you're turning down game-playing opportunities to spend time with you son (good!) or that you are turning down opportunities to play games *with* your son (bad!)?

I turn down a lot of game-playing to spend time with my daughter, for exactly the reason you mention--I am well aware that there will come a time when Dad is not the most-favored-play-partner, and I seriously aim to get as much time with her as I possibly can before that happens. It is one of the things that, as an older parent, is startlingly clear, which would have been obscured during my more self-focused youth. If only I had the energy of my 20s or 30s--dang trade-offs, always messing things up!

Unfortunately, its the bad one... I've made a similiar realization which is one of the reasons to get as many of these games in with my three kids over the next year as they're willing to play with me. Should be interesting to see what impact it has on the games that I play since they're 10, 9 and 7 and have very different tastes and interest in playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.