United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,
Hornless Unicorn has done a great job in making the Geek a better, more enjoyable place with his wonderful cartoons. Surely an allowance can be made for putting these fine images on the front page. It would make the page look better and might draw more people in, and it would make a contributing member of the community feel better. You could even ask him to make specific pictures. This is a win-win if ever I saw one.
Thanks,
Eddie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
I agree with Osiris. I eagerly anticipate each of Hornless Unicorn's cartoons and it would be great to give him a little more exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote no. Who knows what that kid might do! I've already heard enough Thump Bump Bumps from certain individuals in this place...

Edit: And no I'm talking about that. Eww. God I must be getting old. /goes and gets a broom handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have the cartoon on my front page and I miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
Rappak wrote:
Who knows what that kid might do!
He'd produce humorous cartoons I'd imagine, just like Brian Barling...

Humor has been lost on this one. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for bringing Hornless_Unicorn to the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Who the heck is Hornless Unicorn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/153083

He has created some pretty funny stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down as another vote for before someone else comes and convinces him to post his stuff on their site...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IzToK
Slovenia
Maribor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this would be excellent. Hornless has done some amazing cartoons.
I vote for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really loved his first posts on the Geek in which he asks questions and introduces himself. He's got these totally bizarre brain animations all over the place. I wish he'd still put those in when he posts. . . . sigh!

KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No reply yet from Aldie or an Admin? Must be a conspirousy against front page cartoons or even worse, the happiness of BGG users.

We need to rise up and find Hornless's horn. By we I mean someone else completely. I will stay here and manage the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Aldie,
Hornless Unicorn has done a great job in making the Geek a better, more enjoyable place with his wonderful cartoons. Surely an allowance can be made for putting these fine images on the front page. It would make the page look better and might draw more people in, and it would make a contributing member of the community feel better. You could even ask him to make specific pictures. This is a win-win if ever I saw one.
Thanks,
Eddie.

I say NO... This guy is trying to deceit us

My endless studies on wildlife and generic fauna, and economics helped me to gather information, this was a hard study that took 2-3 months and several people were involved.

My studies found out that a Hornless Unicorn is nothing but... wait for it... A HORSE!

I was very dissapointed by this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be cool.

Maybe we could also get a "gaming cartoons" sub-forum for Hornless_Unicorn and anyone else who makes funny comics to post in. I'd keep tabs on that sub-forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Who the heck is Hornless Unicorn?

Check out his blog for all the cartoons
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Hornless_Unicorn/blog

Even if the cartoons don't show up on the front page I think he should have his own little cartoon corner to give him some more exposure. I missed the latest one! Awesome BTW!!

edit:
Also BTW - the "link" in the blogs page doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
meeple meeple meeple meeple meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't trust this guy... Hornless-something, what? Hm... Smells like a conspiracy for world domination - first he wants some corner for cartoons and then what?

Hornless in his evil laboratory: “Hahaha! Now ze vorld iz mine - MINE HA HA HA!”

On a more serious note: I feel very honoured by what you guys are doing here

David, concerning those links on the blog - I just don't know how to do it - it's as simple as that. blush Maybe someone can give me a hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Art is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornless_Unicorn wrote:
I wouldn't trust this guy... Hornless-something, what? Hm... Smells like a conspiracy for world domination - first he wants some corner for cartoons and then what?

Hornless in his evil laboratory: “Hahaha! Now ze vorld iz mine - MINE HA HA HA!”

On a more serious note: I feel very honoured by what you guys are doing here

David, concerning those links on the blog - I just don't know how to do it - it's as simple as that. blush Maybe someone can give me a hand?

Actually, I assumed it was a BGG bug, I don't *think* it is on your end but I could be wrong on that too... Anyone know?

Anyhoo - keep up the great work, this last one is GREAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but . . . no, I don't think so.

Sorry, but I just don't think these cartoons are very funny, not even in a secret-handshake, members-only, inside-joke kind of way. [Board Game #1: I'm bored! Board Game #2: Well I guess you must be a board game! Yuk! Yuk!] The art style is also rather amateurish, even for a cartoon.

I'm not saying that I could do better mind you, I applaud the artist's effort. I believe it was Mark Twain [?] who said something to the effect that if just part of the effort that went into critiquing art was used for creating art, then the world would be so much richer for it.

I just don't want it on the front page of BGG, not when every attempt should be made by members to increase the awareness of the boardgame hobby, and to get more people to take it seriously.

And before I'm accused of having no sense of humor, I'd like to flash my geek credentials by name dropping such series as Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, Outland/Bloom County, Pogo, Tumbleweeds, Bizarro, Rall, You Damn Kid, Tom the Dancing Bug, Red Meat, Snarfquest, Cowtown, etc. Basically, I love comics, I just don't love this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
I just don't want it on the front page of BGG, not when every attempt should be made by members to increase the awareness of the boardgame hobby, and to get more people to take it seriously.

First, if you do not already know, you do have the ability to edit your profile's settings for the front page so that cartoons do not appear on it at all.

To do so, visit:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=editfrontpag...

Second, I do not believe that cartoons appear on the front page of BGG if you are not logged in (although I cannot confirm this point at this time).

I hope this helps. Good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
Second, I do not believe that cartoons appear on the front page of BGG if you are not logged in (although I cannot confirm this point at this time).

Check the front page here!!

Hope this helps!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D.
msg tools
mb
Im not a hardcore gamer so I dont get most of these, but isnt there like a gallery section on this site for stuff that everyone can go see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:

Sorry, but I just don't think these cartoons are very funny, not even in a secret-handshake, members-only, inside-joke kind of way. [Board Game #1: I'm bored! Board Game #2: Well I guess you must be a board game! Yuk! Yuk!]

Look, English is Dimitry's third language and so he tries to cater to those of us who speak it. You may have heard the "bored games" thing a thousand times before and are familiar with the nuances and idioms of your tongue. However, I am pretty certain that most of your German or Russian jokes would go over like a lead balloon.

I know of what I speak, as English is the 4th language I learned (after Russian, German, and Italian) and, although I get paid to write in it and have spoken it for 32+ years, there are subtleties I miss in not being a native speaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Osiris Ra wrote:
JVKhoury wrote:

Sorry, but I just don't think these cartoons are very funny, not even in a secret-handshake, members-only, inside-joke kind of way. [Board Game #1: I'm bored! Board Game #2: Well I guess you must be a board game! Yuk! Yuk!]

Look, English is Dimitry's third language and so he tries to cater to those of us who speak it. You may have heard the "bored games" thing a thousand times before and are familiar with the nuances and idioms of your tongue. However, I am pretty certain that most of your German or Russian jokes would go over like a lead balloon.

I know of what I speak, as English is the 4th language I learned (after Russian, German, and Italian) and, although I get paid to write in it and have spoken it for 32+ years, there are subtleties I miss in not being a native speaker.

"Norwegian blue"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.