Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grr, who likes job hunting? I don't. It's a pain cause you interview and then wait....you contact them and wait some more.

Ugh.

Anyone wanna hire me? kiss

hehe

I feel better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate job hunting enough that I am still at this job.

Do you do embedded C code for automotive applications? We could always use another gamer, I mean good engineer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why on Earth would you contact them? I tried that once, it just makes you look desperate. I didn't even need the job, but it pissed me off that they weren't getting back to me, so I phoned them up and bitched at some random HR lady. Guess what? They decided not to give me that job....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I was let go just before Christmas. I haven't had to look for a job in about 15 years. To say how much job hunting sucks is an understatement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I hate job hunting enough that I am still at this job.

Do you do embedded C code for automotive applications? We could always use another gamer, I mean good engineer.

Man, what an easy job! I could do that.

"Hey Frank, what's that big 'G' I found inside my front passenger cushion?"
"Oh put that back, Bob! That's not really a 'G' at all--it's code for a 'C', and it must be applied to your passenger seat at all times!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Job hunting is no fun. I'm lucky enough to have found every single job I've had without doing any anything other than sending an email to my friends asking for open positions, but I've seen how painful a job hunt can be, especially if the market is small, like for a meteorologist, or an astrophysicist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Why on Earth would you contact them? I tried that once, it just makes you look desperate. I didn't even need the job, but it pissed me off that they weren't getting back to me, so I phoned them up and bitched at some random HR lady. Guess what? They decided not to give me that job....

Actually, the guy I interviewed with told me to contact him after 1st of the year. So I did, but they haven't made a decision yet (which means I think I'm still in the running).

OTOH, anyone have a lot of $$$ so I can start a casual game development company here in South Carolina?

~Allen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Job hunting is no fun. I'm lucky enough to have found every single job I've had without doing any anything other than sending an email to my friends asking for open positions, but I've seen how painful a job hunt can be, especially if the market is small, like for a meteorologist, or an astrophysicist.

Yeah the problem I seem to be having is that I've been running a business for the last 4.5 years and doing everything - sales, purchasing, hr, customer service, business development, etc. So when I'm looking around folks tend to think I'm not specialized which stinks too.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that hates looking for work...

Need a smiley that says will game for food...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Drew, I know that theory, but any company that requires you to make a follow-up call in order to make a decision to hire you is a company that didn't need you badly enough from the start. The majority of my miserable twenty year career in data processing consisted of people hiring me on the spot or within 48 hours of my final interview. Any time that didn't happen meant that I had interviewed poorly and/or my salary requirements were way out of line with the firm in question.

Of course in Allen's case, he was told to check back, but that sort of laziness on the part of the employer should send a clear signal to the prospective employee, and in my opinion it's a signal to get as many more interviews in as possible, as quickly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the dance that goes on in job hunting. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to check out local colleges and universities for open IT positions. People sometimes don't think to look there.

About the best I can do is sympathize and offer an ear. It does help to have some folks to cheer you on or insult you depending on our mood.

Seriously, though good luck.

Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
I was let go just before Christmas. I haven't had to look for a job in about 15 years. To say how much job hunting sucks is an understatement.

Oh man. I got down sized Nov 1, 2004 so I can totally sympathize. As I said to Allen, come here to vent and we will do our best to keep you going or behave so badly that you'll turn to job hunting for "fun"

Again, seriously man, good luck. I wish I could offer some great advice but other than persevere, I am afraid I have none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Don't forget to check out local colleges and universities for open IT positions. People sometimes don't think to look there.

Add to that grade schools, high schools, and school district offices. The pay won't match the private sector but the benefits will be pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sucks the same on the other (this) side of the world as well. Hope you land that dream job soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
berserkley wrote:

Oh man. I got down sized Nov 1, 2004 so I can totally sympathize. As I said to Allen, come here to vent and we will do our best to keep you going or behave so badly that you'll turn to job hunting for "fun"

Again, seriously man, good luck. I wish I could offer some great advice but other than persevere, I am afraid I have none.

S'okay, bro. Thanks for the support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Just move your company to San Diego and I'll apply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unemployed twice in the past 3 years, due companies moving/merging and being sued out of existance.

It is slow, and nerve destroying.

I had very specific requirements for my jobs, so while I sent out a dozen resumes, I believe I actually only interviewed for maybe 2 positions each time.

However, I was in the best physical shape of my life, as I spent 3 hours a day working out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was job hunting while at, and after college. I worked at my university while I was job hunting for a "real job", but without experience, and a practical degree(I thought economics and international relations were sort of practical anyway), it didn't go well. I would get some interviews but usually I don't hear back. I was really annoyed when companies don't at least send a rejection letter to let you know that you are out of the race. I mean if job hunters spent all the time updating resume, sending it in, writing thank you letters and sending them in, the least they should do is tell you that you suck and they don't want you in a written format.

It wasn't until I applied to a masters degree in the field I am in now, did I see the light. THis time I chose an extremely practical concentration, namely actuarial science, and studied for 2 years. And after that I got my first real job with only 1 interview. I don't know how it happened, it just did, and I felt lucky in a way. Which taught me a lesson, job hunting is as much about skills and education as about luck. If you went to the right place, met the right person at the right time, then you get the job.

So I think no one likes job hunting. Especially those who experience rejection one too many times. But what can you do, it's life. Good luck and I hope you find another job soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So very true. I've been working at the same job for a year and a half now.... the longest stretch I've been at any one place since graduating in 1998 and the first time in quite a few years that I won't have to fill out a tax form for more than one state. I love what I do, but the entertainment industry can be a fickle bitch when it comes to job security.

Job hunting sucks, and so does the moving that often comes with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement and what not. This is one of the reasons why I started a business with a friend. But that chapter is closing so back to the 'normal' workforce I go!

I do have some plans to work on an MBA within a few years once I've saved up some moola. Until then it's look some more and keep working on my business plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Job hunting blows. yuk I was laid off in November 2005. The week before Thanksgiving! I was floored.

By some weird stroke of fate, my company rehired me four months after. I found the opening on Monster.com while I was attending classes that the company paid for to help me with my resume and interviewing skills. It was a level down from before, but I didn't care. It gave me time to get used to the new department.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See my earlier note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Drew, the one where I said the call back can make you look desperate. If he told you he'd get back to you, then either he would have, or he lied. In the former case you wind up looking somewhat pushy (your words) or desperate (mine, and closely related). In the latter case, do you really need to work for liars?

By the way, I empathize with you, and with Allen. I've certainly been out of work at various times when I didn't want to be, and it was inconvenient (or seemed so at first.) I wish you the best of luck in your job hunts, and I stand by my tacit advice, which is to get your name and resumè onto as many potential employers' desks as you can, and never focus your hopes too tightly on any one prospect. "Crop Dusting" your resumè is the best shot of getting lots of interviews, assuming you're not in a field where that's impossible, or that you don't already have a decent headhunter working on the case for you. Decent headhunter is possibly an oxymoron these days...back when I lived in Virginia I was blessed with a couple of really great ones. I've been retired so long now that I don't even know if they're still a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I empathize partially then, and fully with anybody who is actually out of work and seeking same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.