Subject: A Quick Review of Carcassonne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Carcassonne

Publisher: Hans Im Gluck / Rio Grande Games

Number of Players: 2-5

Game Length: 30 min

Recommended age: 10 and up

Game Designer: Klaus-Jurgen Wrede

Theme: Carcassonne is supposedly based on the city of Carcassonne in southern France which is located on what was an important trade route between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic. However, this historical city does not play into the game what-so-ever. Wrede could have named this game after any city, county or country in the world. The game’s theme is irrelevant.

Components: The tiles and scoring sheet are made out of sturdy cardboard and the figures are wooden, they are simple, well-made components.

Rules: Players take turns laying tiles on a playing surface. As they do roads, cities, cloisters and fields develop. Players deploy their followers on the roads, cities, cloisters and fields to earn points. Points are tabulated while the game progresses and at the end of the game. The player with the most points at the end of the game is the winner.

Level of Strategy: Carcassonne is a simple game to learn and there is a reasonable amount of luck involved with which tiles are drawn. That being said, there is enough strategy involved in this game that experienced players will generally beat inexperienced or incompetent players.

Replayability: Carcassonne has a reasonably high replayability quality due to the variation from one game to the next and the availability of many expansion sets.

Overview: Carcassonne is a fun, fast, reasonably light game which is fun to play for experienced and new gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Allcock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bjhenderson wrote:
However, this historical city does not play into the game what-so-ever. Wrede could have named this game after any city, county or country in the world. The game’s theme is irrelevant.

Er, you have seen photographs of Carcassonne, right? Big medieval fortified town with lots of walls and towers? Granted he could probably have equally called it after another medieval town such as Rothenburg or Burghausen without *too* much trouble, but given the "theme" of the game is essentially one of building a landscape of said walled medieval towns I really can't see that calling it, say, Toronto, Wisconsin or Papua New Guinea (cf "any city, county or country in the world") would have related quite so well to the theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
The comment was not meant to be critical. I like Carcassonne. I simply meant that with very superficial changes to the tiles, such as changing the walled fortresses into pictures of cities, the game would remain essentially the same. I don't think the "Carcassonne" theme really adds anything to the game. That being said, I think it was as good a city to name the game after as any other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.