Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wargame [+] books [+] [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone read a good Bulge book lately? I'm just looking for a suggestions to get a little more historical insight.

I recently read "Alamo in the Ardennes" which I found to be a little disappointing. The historical accounts were pretty good, but it seemed a little to scattered with too many names and regiment numbers jumping all over the place. It also ended just as the 101st came in to Bastogne and I was left feeling like I only got 1/2 the story. Not a bad book, but not quite satisfying.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked The Battle Of The Bulge: Hitler's Ardennes Offensive, 1944-1945 by Danny S. Parker. He also happened to design some wargames on the subject. But anyway the book has a solid account of the whole battle, plus a bunch of side articles about interesting aspects of the battle like fuel usage, tiger tanks, even Patton's famous prayer for better weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw. Follows 18 men of an I&R (intelligence and recon) platoon from the their stand against overwhelming odds at the beginning of the the Battle of the Bulge through to ... well, you'll see. cool

A very good read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem seems to be that many of the "new" titles do not really add anything to the discussion.

Avoid:
Patrick Delaforce--for the above reason
John Toland--if you care about historical accuracy
George Forty--a dull rehashing of rehashed hash.
John S. D. Eisenhower--purely blah

Maybe/Maybe Not:
Trevor Nevitt Dupuy just left me feeling like I was carrying a thick book around, but you might like it.
Jean-Paul Pallud--I have it but I am not sure how I feel about it. You find this listed in many other titles and it is not an easy--or cheap--find.
Charles Whiting--a rehash of what has been written, and hardly the "untold" story.
James Arnold--should stick to Napoleonic material

Very Dated:
Peter Elstob--rather brief

Consider:
Danny S. Parker--a better game designer than author, but not in the same league as when Stephen King tries to direct a movie. Parker's style is dry, but the content is worthy of attention.
Charles B. MacDonald--worth the time, but very biased towards the American side.

Still the Best:
Hugh Cole--although wrtten from the American side (as part of the official U.S. Army history), Cole gives due attention to the German side. It is THE source that the others, if they have any worth at all, always mention. Cole gives great detail for the wargamer. Sometimes one cannot see the forest for the trees because of the detail, but despite being written in the '60's, it still tops the rest.

If you can find them:
Bruce Quarrie--he has a series of Osprey titles (I have most, but not all). They have gone out of print, so be prepared to be fleeced, but he gives amazing detail, his series covers both sides, it covers the entire front, and he gives coverage to many of the less well-known fighting that took place.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Look for The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw. Follows 18 men of an I&R (intelligence and recon) platoon from the their stand against overwhelming odds at the beginning of the the Battle of the Bulge through to ... well, you'll see. cool

A very good read.

Actually, I have read this one as well, and I look forward to playing the Combat Commander: Battle Pack #1 – Paratroopers scenario that depicts this battle.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to suggest that John S. D. Eisenhower's "The Bitter Woods: The Battle Of The Bulge" is actually a good read on the subject. Granted, he doesn't add anything new to the discussion, his book is still very well done and very relevant, especially to someone who may not be as well read as others on WWII history. There is absolutely nothing wrong with previous suggestions, but I think this title bears more scrutiny, myself.

J. S. D. Eisenhower offers a good look at the battle from both the Allied and the German perspective, and remains impartial, in my judgement, concerning the controversy between allied generals that boiled over at the time, even though it is Dwight Eisenhower (John's father) who was the allied supreme commander at the time. John does not gloss over any part of the controversy, and even goes to some lengths to give Monty credit where others only see fault. It is this very controversy that Hitler was so sure would cause the collapse of the allied coalition once the British and American forces were split by the drive to Antwerp.

The battle actions are described in detail, the maps, while not stellar, are more than adequate and do well to give the reader a sense of the scale of the battle and the operations that were part of it. You get a good feel for the great lengths the Germans went to in bringing this operation off, in maintaining the necessary secrecy, and just how they managed to scrape such a formidable force together in the twilight hours of World War 2.

BTW, I'm reading the book for the umpteenth time in preperation for FAB:BoB, and still find it an excellent read and very much relevant to it's subject.

To each his own, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.