Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Parker
United States
Bethel
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While writing a small program to help moderate RftG games, I wanted to know the maximum number a cards a player could have in-hand at any point in a game. I played around with the cards a bit and came up with several ways to get to 49 cards in hand during a 2-player experienced game (all variations of the same theme).

I thought it might make an interesting RftG puzzle so I left off my answer for now. I'm also interested to see if anyone can increase that to 50 or beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in knowing how you manage to create a 49 card hand when you have to discard down to 10 at the end of every turn....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaPirateAssassin wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing how you manage to create a 49 card hand when you have to discard down to 10 at the end of every turn....

He's talking about getting to 49 at the end of your turn, just before you discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49 is the best I can come up with so far.

2-player game. Start the hand with 10 cards and the following in play.

== Worlds (8)

Old Earth
Galactic Engineers
Merchant World
Black Market Trading World
Distant World
Spice World
New Vinland
Gem World

== Developments (3)

Drop Ships
Trade League
Consumer Markets

Opponent chooses Settle + Produce.
You choose Explore (1/1) + Consume (Trade).

10 start
+ 2 explore
- 1 settle Pirate World
+15 trade Pirate World good
+12 consume Gem World good with Trade League
+ 4 consume Distant World good with Black Market Trading World
+ 2 consume New Vinland good with itself
+ 0 consume Spice World good for VP
+ 1 produce Spice World good
+ 4 produce bonus from Consumer Markets
-------
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ramsden
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Puzzle - tried a lot of things, there are many alternative 49s, but I can only improve this by one to 50. Follow jdLudlow's plan but remove Drop Ships and replace directly with Pirate World (built with New Military Tactics on a previous round), thus saving one more card in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bonxie wrote:
Great Puzzle - tried a lot of things, there are many alternative 49s, but I can only improve this by one to 50. Follow jdLudlow's plan but remove Drop Ships and replace directly with Pirate World (built with New Military Tactics on a previous round), thus saving one more card in hand.

Ahhhhhhh. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I found so many different 49's, but just could not squeeze out that extra point.

Very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are effin' nuts! I'm impressed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me wonder what combination it would take for the players to exhaust the deck so there were no more cards to draw. It certainly seems possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
This makes me wonder what combination it would take for the players to exhaust the deck so there were no more cards to draw. It certainly seems possible!

Easily. Consider that in the example above one player is holding 50 cards in his hand, with 12 on the board. That only leaves 52 cards between the deck and all other players. At the start of the turn, each other player could have 11 on the board and 10 in hand. That's 63 (11 more than is currently available).

Also notice that none of that counts goods, or the explore phase that happened, or anything else that those players may have drawn that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.