Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I understand that when you're playing and roll for movement of a player and a ball you have to move them both the FULL amount rolled.

Additionally, it states in the rules that if a player moves into a square with an opposition player in it then they must stop.

Does this mean you can do this deliberately in order to move less than the full amount on the dice with your player? We've played it this way (once) and it makes a high dice roll far more useful when defending.

Similarly, can you do this for the ball? Many are the times that I've been on the edge of the box trying to roll a two or three to pass the ball to a striker in the box and rolled a six... It seems a bit unrealistic (and very frustrating) to have to kick the ball back towards my end of the pitch just so it can move the full six spaces!

cheers in advance for comments/explanations!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sampavone wrote:

Does this mean you can do this deliberately in order to move less than the full amount on the dice with your player?

The way I read the rules, absolutely. Sometimes that wall of opposing players is a bad thing, sometimes it's a good thing.

sampavone wrote:

Similarly, can you do this for the ball?
Sam

I don't think so.
The way I read the rules, the ball moves the full distance regardless of who is in the square(s).

The way we play is that if the ball is near an edge, a high number is rolled and you don't want to send it back toward your goal, we have it go out of bounds. The other team takes possession of the ball in the square where it goes out, and they roll 1 dice to throw it in (played just like a kick-off).

I'm not sure if that is explicitly stated in the rules of the game, but it makes sense for the rules of soccer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Excellent! Many thanks for that. I'll try the throw in rule next time I play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
sampavone wrote:
I understand that when you're playing and roll for movement of a player and a ball you have to move them both the FULL amount rolled.

Additionally, it states in the rules that if a player moves into a square with an opposition player in it then they must stop.

Does this mean you can do this deliberately in order to move less than the full amount on the dice with your player? We've played it this way (once) and it makes a high dice roll far more useful when defending.

Do many other people play like this? I have always played that you must ALWAYS use your full movement. I took that rule to be illustrative of the fact that you may not move through a space with another player in it. Though I guess I could see it either way. I would like some more opinions on this.

I have emailed the designer several times with no response so I am curious hoe others play it.

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

sampavone wrote:

The way we play is that if the ball is near an edge, a high number is rolled and you don't want to send it back toward your goal, we have it go out of bounds. The other team takes possession of the ball in the square where it goes out, and they roll 1 dice to throw it in (played just like a kick-off).

Why wouldn't you just send the ball towards the opponents goal or toward the center? You would still get a chance to capture it and there would be no guarantee it would switch to the other teams possession.

Also: I agree that the ball continues on it's full course. I don't have the rules in front of me but I am sure it says the ball passes through players of either team.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beuller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:
sampavone wrote:

Do many other people play like this? I have always played that you must ALWAYS use your full movement. I took that rule to be illustrative of the fact that you may not move through a space with another player in it. Though I guess I could see it either way. I would like some more opinions on this.

I have emailed the designer several times with no response so I am curious hoe others play it.

Josh

I am quite certain that Josh is correct in his response. In fact, this is supported by figure 2 in the rulebook, which clearly shows that it is not a legal move to stop on a space with another player if your movement is less than the amount rolled. In this example, stopping on the space with the yellow player after movement of 3 is not allowed with a die roll of 4.

You must always move the full amount indicated by what you have rolled, and you can only stop on the same space as another player if you have moved this amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.