Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time I upgraded my HP 5L to something more useful for game production. Mostly I'll be using it for cards and tuckboxes. My priorities are thus:

1) able to handle up to 110-lb 8.5"x11" sheets of cardstock without damage to printer
2) color printing
3) duplex printing, or manual double-sided printing with small amounts of misalignment
4) laser preferred over ink

Desktop space and unit cost are also concerns, but I want to see what's out there first. What makes and models of printers would be a good place to start looking? What printers do you DIY'ers have good performance with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour laserjets are not cheap. Either is the toner. and duplex units will not handle heavier weights of paper. At least none that I've ever had to support.

I would think a hight end ink jet would serve you better but YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a TON of prototyping and DIY games with low end inkjet printers. I used an old HP DeskJet 3820 until it finally died (after about 50 or so games). I replaced it with the HP DeskJet 6940 and have had great success so far with it.

It can handle letter or legal paper and paper and paper up to 110lb cardstock (at least that's as far as I go with it).

It does manual duplexing (you turn the paper) accurately. You will have to offset the back artwork some, but the offset is consistent. There's also an auto duplex option available though I didn't get it so I don't know how accurate it is.

The only thing I don't like about the new printer is that the colors are far less saturated than my old 3820. Sure, the 3820 burned through ink fairly quickly, but I knew that what I saw onscreen was about what I'd get when I printed. Now I have to do tests and adjust gamma values before I get the saturation I like (and it looks way oversaturated onscreen). Other than that I have been very happy with the results.

Sorry I don't know more about the laser printers, I see that you can get some for less than $150 now, but I'm not sure what they can handle or the quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, Canon makes some great inkjet printers. I have an i320 that prints color beautifully especially at higher resolution. The ink is not that expensive; I have often used CarrotInk.com and they also have regular specials that make it affordable to replace. I have done prototyping as well as printouts of game elements for playtesting games for commercial publishers and my group has had no complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my canon pixma 8500. It handles 110lb no problem. I've also printed shrink plastic in it & that's thicker than 110. The color is fantastic. I refill my cartridges with ink bought from MIS Associates Inc, which is way cheaper & the ink is very good. It does automatic & manual duplex printing. The poster setting is great for making large game boards. Theres also a booklet setting which is fantastic for printing up rule manuals. This printer is a true workhorse. I think I've made over 50 print & play games. Many, many game helpers. Hasn't burped once. The only negative I have is that it doesn't do large format. That's a must for my next printer.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can fins a 9650 by HP it does up to 19x13 (Super b) size and manual double sided.

not sure of the 110# requirement as I have not tried it yet.

best of luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to stick with HP and go colo laser then you are probably looking at the 3600 series, at least as a middle o fthe road as far as cost. Here is a good link that compares all HP Laserjet printers Cost Per Page, which is really as, if not more, important than initial cost:
http://tinyurl.com/bzcgk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, y'all. That is a good point about price per sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow-up:

After a few expeditions of window shopping, I ended up with a Brother 4040CN. It's a 65-lb 510-Watt print-o-cube, but it works just fine so far. Thankfully I'm able to say it was only $400.

I had considered the HP 1600, but ruled it out after it smeared on a demo print attempt on 65-lb stock. I brought a ream of it with me to do tests with candidate printers, and the Brother handled the thick paper with less smearing than the HP1600 did.

I have yet to run 110-lb in it, but I think it will be okay on the "thicker paper" setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Stump
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn (with networking and a duplexer) for $250 from Amazon. It's got a fairly straight paper path and prints cleanly on everything I've thrown at it, including 110 lb card stock. I do have to be careful to set the paper type setting to card stock when printing on heavier paper or the print will be spotty (the heat needs to be high enough to fuse the toner onto the page).

Now if only I could fine a source for playing card stock in 8.5"x11" sheets, I'd be set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cerulean wrote:
Follow-up:

After a few expeditions of window shopping, I ended up with a Brother 4040CN. It's a 65-lb 510-Watt print-o-cube, but it works just fine so far. Thankfully I'm able to say it was only $400.

I had considered the HP 1600, but ruled it out after it smeared on a demo print attempt on 65-lb stock. I brought a ream of it with me to do tests with candidate printers, and the Brother handled the thick paper with less smearing than the HP1600 did.

I have yet to run 110-lb in it, but I think it will be okay on the "thicker paper" setting.

funny, that's what I was thinking of buying, but I have no way to try it around my place. A fellow gamer recommending it is a strong argument though. I'd settle for the 4050 to have the two-sided option for my home office though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a Samsung CLP-300 last year, < $200 factory refurbished. Has worked great, handles cardstock just fine. The one drawback is that it tends to curl the paper/cardstock a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
weevilgenius wrote:
Now if only I could fine a source for playing card stock in 8.5"x11" sheets, I'd be set.

That's actually easy: PlainCards

Kerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the HP k5400dn. Does duplexing, great cost per sheet (comparable to color laser), but its an inkjet so the investment isn't as high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Afshin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are on the subject, I too am interested in picking up a new printer, although I am looking for an inkjet. Specifically, I am looking for one that has good color quality and can handle cardstock up to 11x17 sheets. I would be willing to look at a Multi-function, but my primary purpose would be files for games, cards, etc. since I already own a black and white laser printer. I would prefer to stay under $350, but that is not set in stone by any means. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a Lexmark 500CN color laser printer for under $300 shipped. I picked it for the specific reason that it had settings for 110-lb cardstock.

It prints very well and handles cardstock like a charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.