Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22571349/

I'd like to know what lawyer had the gumption to actually think these lawsuits were good ideas. I've always had no agreement with putting a price tag of ANY kind of so-called "pain and suffering", but this is a bit over the top.

It's interesting one person said it's trying the mentality of "Aim high and negotiate down." I hope the judges in this case look at the absurdity of the claim amounts and reject the suit outright. It's obvious these people aren't looking to receive just compensation, but just want to get rich at the expense of everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Didn't know "quadrillion" was even a real word. My new word of the day.

"I love you a quadrillion times better babe!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, a Quadrillion is equal to 1000 Trillion, or 1 Million Billion, or 1,000,000,000,000,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
shake I realise that this storm would has ruined lives, killed people and destroyed a city. But come on, suing the government because a storm hit is just low. If I am not mistaken this was the biggest recorded storm in the area, ever? So how do you prepare for that?

I think they should just concentrate only rebuilding their lives and cities, like everyone else has for the entire history of man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
James, you're not from here, so I don't know if you know the details.

New Orleans is a bowl. The entire city is recessed into the earth. The levees that were supposed to be inspected and kept in shape to prevent the city from flooding were far from useful. Once a levee broke, wham, everything got worse and fast.

People are trying to get the government to take full responsibilities for not keeping them safe by not properly keeping the levees up to tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
James, you're not from here, so I don't know if you know the details.

New Orleans is a bowl. The entire city is recessed into the earth. The levees that were supposed to be inspected and kept in shape to prevent the city from flooding were far from useful. Once a levee broke, wham, everything got worse and fast.

People are trying to get the government to take full responsibilities for not keeping them safe by not properly keeping the levees up to tech.

Just from what I have read and seen (So I am not fully upto date on all this) the only reason it couldn't hold was because they weren't built for such a storm of great scale? Now it could be argued that they should be planning for the worse, but how can you plan for the worse if you can only go from what has happened before.

It was a terrible thing that happened, like every disaster all around the world.

I just will never understand the mindset of some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Government: You live below sea level. That means you are at risk of the sea taking you away. These old levies are only rated for a class 3-4 hurricane. We can build you a levy that is rated for a class 5 hurricane for 10 billion dollars, but to do so the residents will have to pay off that bond by raising your taxes.

People living in the bowl: Oh hell no, we aren't paying for it. We'll take our chances.

...Sometime down the road, big hurricane, big flood, houses in the bowl flood, luck failed by nature.

People living in the bowl: Hey government! We are entitled to money to rebuild our houses and even more money just cause! Entitlement! Entitlement! ETC....

Government:Ah yeah, we don't think so.

Lawyers of People living in the bowl: We'll sue for a Kagillion dollars, but will end up settling for tiny tiny fraction. Of course we lawyers will keep 99% of the money.

Government:That's what you get for living in a bowl beneath the sea. Life's a bitch, and a little common sense will go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael - My thoughts exactly.

You forgot the part leading up to the storm, though:

Government: Hey, there's a big storm coming, you may want to think about getting out of there, just to be safe.

People living in the bowl: Nah, we're good.

Storm hits, floods, pandemonium

People living in the bowl: Hey, Governement, why didn't you make us leave?

Government: The bigger question is, why didn't your city make evacuation a higher priority?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
And people are always speculating about what happened to Atlantis.... Sheesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
I think they should just concentrate only rebuilding their lives and cities, like everyone else has for the entire history of man.

Ambrose points out in his book, "Band of Brothers," how impressed the American GIs were with the industrious nature of the German people. One story is that as the GIs entered a German city with the buildings bombed to the ground, they were amazed to see an almost hopeless picture of a German lady with a wheelbarrow moving rubble.

So, James, as an Australian, known for their rugged individualism, living in Germany, known for their personal industriousness, can in no way empathize with a country going through a personal responsibility identity crisis.

We used to be a country where, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country” was cheered, and now, "Ask not what your country can do for you…" is met with scorn by an increasingly victimized society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I had to say about this had too many bad words in it to hit submit so I erased it.

I hope what is happening in this article doesn't reflect the general sense that citizens of the US have towards the nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE problem with the American legal system is Punative damages.

It encourages the plainly stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
We could make an office where the disbursements are available.
However, to get there, those folks would need to pass through an automated abbatoir. Chop 99.99% of them up into gooyie juicy bits.
What?!
This is not what you had in mind!
You with your silly Masonic handshakes and Club ties!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Government: Hey, there's a big storm coming, you may want to think about getting out of there, just to be safe.

Government: The bigger question is, why didn't your city make evacuation a higher priority?

There's those that didn't have any form of transportation out of the city, but I suppose they don't count. They were all welfare queens that spent their money on flatscreen TVs.

I don't support gazillion dollar lawsuits, but telling the people that they should have voted more wisely doesn't seem to me like the proper response.

You make me be glad of not being an American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the part that's really stupid?

Instead of moving down the road (and increasing elevation), they are rebuilding in the bowl! (And we all get to pay for it!)

(Yes, I feel the same about the federal government paying to rebuild houses on the coast after hurricanes, in California after fires and other places where it's not "if" the houses will be destroyed, but "when." There's a reason that you can't get affordable private insurance in those areas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

There's those that didn't have any form of transportation out of the city, but I suppose they don't count. They were all welfare queens that spent their money on flatscreen TVs.

Dude, if someone convinces me that my house is going to be underwater in two days, I'll find a way out of town. Worst case, there was enough time to walk several miles.

Quote:

You make me be glad of not being an American.

Well, you should be happy that the taxes we collect while you are visiting will go towards those that you feel deserving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
tornspace wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Didn't know "quadrillion" was even a real word.

LOL! That's only like 500 times (give or take) the size of the entire world economy.

I didn't even think of that till you brought it up

here is a stat according to the cia factbook.

GWP (gross world product): $65.96 trillion (2006 est.)

This little site is also interesting http://www.jimloy.com/math/billion.htm

Its funny how in america a quadrillion has only 12 zeros, but in most of the world it is 24 zeros, big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
You know the part that's really stupid?

Instead of moving down the road (and increasing elevation), they are rebuilding in the bowl! (And we all get to pay for it!)

(Yes, I feel the same about the federal government paying to rebuild houses on the coast after hurricanes, in California after fires and other places where it's not "if" the houses will be destroyed, but "when." There's a reason that you can't get affordable private insurance in those areas!
Don't forget houses on the Mississippi in known flood plains that have been built and rebuilt for years.

Ugh. It's certainly not a black and white issue (in the sense of right and wrong, I don't want to get into the race side of things). Absurd law suit, yup. They're rebuilding in other states that voted 'red' with far more money coming in (and comparably less damage), that's absurd too. Politics! Bah. It used to be America, now it's 'red' or 'blue' states. The whole mess is absurd, from the government's neglect in spite of all the warnings (state and federal) down to the individuals that didn't heed the warnings and stayed anyway, and the constant direct denial of any sort of accountability on anyone's account.

But I'm not without compassion. I feel bad for their loss, but don't feel much like helping them return to the same area, especially before they've upgraded the levees and pumps. Helping them to move elsewhere, that's something I could potentially get behind. But honestly, I think bulldozing what's left of the affected areas and reestablishing a flood plain and marsh system would likely be be far more productive in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

They may not have had their own transportation, true, but supplying that should be the responsibility of the city (and maybe state) governments, not the federal government.

The city could have relatively easily organized school buses to evacuate things, or local transit, or whatever. However, they chose instead to wait for someone else to pick up the work, and blame them when they didn't.

My point is that people expect the federal government to micromanage every little detail (yet those same people often complain when the federal government does just that). The Federal Government is for high-level, strategic funding and supplying when needed, not for low-level implementation of evacuation strategies for each city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
tornspace wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Didn't know "quadrillion" was even a real word.

LOL! That's only like 500 times (give or take) the size of the entire world economy.

I didn't even think of that till you brought it up

here is a stat according to the cia factbook.

GWP (gross world product): $65.96 trillion (2006 est.)

This little site is also interesting http://www.jimloy.com/math/billion.htm

Its funny how in america a quadrillion has only 12 zeros, but in most of the world it is 24 zeros, big difference.

No, here it has 15 zeroes (1,000,000,000,000,000) and I have never understood that odd other system where you speak in terms of 1000 million, rather than a billion. Each 10^3 increment (each comma) bumps you to the next order of magnitude.

I get the 1000 million concept if other countries carried it further, such as:

1000 million
1 billion
1000 billion
1 million billion
1 trillion
1000 trillion
1 million trillion
1 billion trillion
1 quadrillion
etc

But they don't do that. They just arbitrarily add thousands as a denomination for all counting and nothing higher. Do Brits talk about one thousand thousand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Randy Cox wrote:
No, here it has 15 zeroes (1,000,000,000,000,000) and I have never understood that odd other system where you speak in terms of 1000 million, rather than a billion. Each 10^3 increment (each comma) bumps you to the next order of magnitude.

I get the 1000 million concept if other countries carried it further, such as:

1000 million
1 billion
1000 billion
1 million billion
1 trillion
1000 trillion
1 million trillion
1 billion trillion
1 quadrillion
etc

But they don't do that. They just arbitrarily add thousands as a denomination for all counting and nothing higher. Do Brits talk about one thousand thousand?

It is because for example a billion (bi = 2) has double the zeros of a million, a trillion has 3 times the amount of zeros, a quadrillion has 4 times the zeros, etc etc.

You never really hear the 1000 billion or higher being used because there isn't really aynthing that high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
You never really hear the 1000 billion or higher being used because there isn't really aynthing that high.

The GDP of the US is in the Trillions (1000 billions). Saying 13.13 trillion seems a bit less awkward than saying 13 thousand billion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bruce
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
People sue for everything now a days. Layers watch like vultures. Ready to swoop at the next easy target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.