Subject: ATS Briefing #2 - Arabs & Israelis in 1948, 1956 and 1967. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
What you get:
Counters for all scenarios except for markers & emplacements.
Overlays.
12 scenarios.
ATS Briefing #2 magazine, containing several background articles on the Arab-Israeli conflict, some scenario comments by the authors and a few pages of special rules that apply to these scenarios.

What you need:
Either Advanced Tobruk OR the Expansion Map-pack, which provides a standard desert terrain map and the emplacements and markers countersheets, as well as the standard set of rules and charts.

What I think:
Another great expansion for the base Advanced Tobruk set. There is an alarmingly eclectic assortment of interesting goodies here - home-made "Davidka" and "Parosh" mortars with special rules for their poor aim, devastating shrapnel capacity, terrifying sound and their unsettling tendency to occasionally explode in their user's hands. We also see ATGM wire-guided missiles, RPGs, "sandwich cars" which would appear to be improvised fortresses on wheels, and French paratroopers who are extremely tough and well equipped. There are a few scenarios that just so-so, and a few that are a bit same-y, and one I would describe as a "novelty" scenario, but there are 7 or 8 absolutely fantastic situations here. All of the new counters & overlays are of the usual high quality we have come to expect from Critical Hit.

Many of the 1948 scenarios feel like early WWII, with low-grade troops, ammo issues and a motley collection of mainly second-rate support weapons and long-obsolete tanks. Later, 1956 and 1967 scenarios feature more modern equipment...but not much more, with a 1967 tilt pitting WWII vintage Soviet tanks against a host of Sherman variants. Nearly all of the scenarios resulted in close games with plenty of hard choices for both sides.

I have really enjoyed playing this pack, and am encouraged that ATS is taking some tentative steps into modern conflicts with this and last year's Toktong Pass (Korea). Given that this expansion and Toktong Pass still model more or less conventional warfare it is still left to be seen if Critical Hit can successfully port this system to Vietnam and beyond...but I remain hopeful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.