Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see that while they improved the cardboard components of the game they elected to ditch the swanky beads in favor of wood.

Not sure how I feel about that. Any comments from those who have played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The glass beads are small and really hard to pick up and move. Cubes would be easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, most of the complaints were about the beads. Folks thought they were too small and hard to pick up, which was true to an extent. My concern was that if they increased in size, you couldn't fit all of them on the cards. But they also increased the card size. Now we just have to see if the player displays get too large. But this will probably be a good solution.

Cubes will certainly be easier to move around than beads. The beads were nice because you could see through them to read the food cost in the spaces in the population chart. I was hoping they'd label these costs indirectly so that an opaque cube wouldn't be a problem. But it looks as if they have the same space numbering technique from the original game. I guess all that will be necessary is to shift the cube over to see the cost, which is a bit of a pain, but not too big a deal I guess. I'll have to play it to see what I think (and I WILL play it--oh yes!!!), but for now, I'm not seeing any showstoppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I prefer the beads, but it's not a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, the info Dave is talking about is from here: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Yeah, not being able to see the population costs is a bit annoying, but overall the cubes will be slightly easier to manage, I think. The bigger, thicker, rounded-corner cards are a big step up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Farhaven
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For $70, I expected more.

It looks like the art on the cards is the same. The tracks on the board are only vaguely labeled (I, II, III). The wooden cubes cover the population expansion costs (not to mention being a different shape).

I expected a lot more for a game that costs that much. At the very least some attention to detail, if not some flashy bits. It looks like this just went from if-I-can-afford-it to probably-not in my book. That's too bad considering the quality of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the beads, but I have already have the first edition, so I have no complaints. I'm just glad the game's being reprinted so more people can enjoy it's creamy goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Beads are nicer looking and seem a little higher quality. Plus with how small your board is, it's no wonder they are tiny to be able to fit that many on it. Yeah they were annoying to handle, but that's the trade off. Blocks are exactly the opposite, practical yet mundane, just like every other game that features them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
I really liked the beads, but I'm apparently an outlier. I really like the beads in Prophecy, too. You don't have to pick them up; you can just slide them into place across the tabletop with your fingertip. Though they're small, they're circular and distinct, and it's easier (with my deteriorating eyesight) to count a row of beads - even small ones - than a row of cubes - even large ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game counters consist of discs and cubes. The scoring track uses cubes and the resources and action tokens are discs, so the footprint of the resources/actions are still circles, but it is now a cylinder instead of a hemisphere.

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My understanding is that FRED did market research and determined that players, even with the beads, move them around a lot to see what the population costs are. If you're going to be moving them around anyway, it is kind of unclear where the benefit is to beads over cubes given that cubes are a little easier to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping with this price tage, there would be more of an improvement. I guess I'll just play other copies at cons.

I liked the concept of the beads until I played. Those little buggers were just too small.

When they increased the size of the player board, they could have used the larger glass beads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
While having only seen it played, I can understand the ergonomics of bead-vs-cube, and figure in either case there will be some blockage of printed data.

But I definitely prefer the beads over more cubes, from an aesthetics point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this looks really dissapointing for the price tag! I was sure that they were going to pimp the game up a bit. But the new edition looks just as bland as the original. I cannot see how they can justify the price for what they added to the game.

All in all I'm glad I own the original. May not be the best cardstock but at least it's the 1st edition. And it's got BEADS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bland?

I think the game art for the original is evocative and functional. I personally find some of the art that has been coming out lately garish, and welcome designs that have art which is identifiable and distinctive without being a mess of colours and stylization.

In terms of the wood vs. beads, I think I'll prefer the new design. The beads looked nice, but they weren't overly practical as they were hard to pick up. Being transparent was a feature, but I much prefer the easier to use bits in the new edition.

Yes, it is costly, but what else would you expect from Funagain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree about the art, Michael. I enjoy homey art as long as it's reasonably well done and doesn't detract from the final product.

Also, I thought CGB did a great job with the icons on the cards, so I'm glad Fred kept that. Their "minimal changes" policy was very wise, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Interesting to see that while they improved the cardboard components of the game they elected to ditch the swanky beads in favor of wood.

Not sure how I feel about that. Any comments from those who have played?

At the Atlanta Game Fest #13, I was lucky enough to fondle both the new English edition components and the old beads and cones. I liked the cones better than the cubes (they are taller and easer to grab), but the cylinders were an improvment over the beads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Reality wrote:
.....the new edition looks just as bland as the original. I cannot see how they can justify the price for what they added to the game.

Gene Simmons is not cheap:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/292621

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to teach the game to two newbies last night and they absolutely loved it. They are college age and were really impressed with it (I believe "awesome" was the current slang term used.)cool

Oh, and I just missed getting to Assassinate Elvis. If it had been Gene Simmons I would have made sure it went through.

I love the beads. I like the look of the cones, but they do get knocked over more than cubes would. blush

But I do agree that it is great that more copies of the game are now out there. This is my favorite game bar none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.