Subject: A Quick Review of Apples to Apples rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Apples to Apples

Publisher: Out of the Box

Number of Players: 4-10

Game Length: 20-30 min

Recommended age: 12 and up

Original Concept and Prototype: Matthew Kirby

Game Designer: Mark Alan Osterhaus

Theme: Apples to Apples is a true party game.

Components: There are 749 Red Apple Cards, 249 Green Apple Cards, 7 blank Red Apple Cards, 3 blank Green Apple Cards all made out of quality cardstock. The game includes two heavy duty card trays. The trays are well made and sturdy; they have to be, to support over 1000 Cards! The Apple Crate Edition comes in a sturdy wooden box. Overall the quality of the game components is high.

Rules: The instructions are easy to understand and well laid out. Each player is dealt seven red apple cards. The player going first is the judge. He or she picks up a green card and reads the card aloud. The other players choose the red apple card from their hand which is best described by the word the first player read aloud. The judge then shuffles the chosen cards and reads each one aloud. The judge then chooses the one he or she thinks is best described by the word on the Green Apple card. The player who submitted the chosen card is awarded the green apple card. Now the next player becomes the judge and chooses a green apple card and the game begins anew. In a four player game the first player to receive 8 green apple cards wins. In a five player game the first player to receive 7 green apple cards wins and so on.

Fun Factor: While, “party games” aren’t really my cup of tea, this one isn’t to bad. The real fun factor in Apples to Apples takes place when players try to lobby the judge to pick a particular card, either their own or a particularly funny or strange one. It can be fun to try and guess how your opponents will choose the red apple card; some people are straight shooters and follow the “rules” while others will always pick the funniest, strangest or geekiest one!

Replayability: As Apples to Apples comes with so many cards with so many different possibilities the game has a reasonably high replayability quality. It is a fun, fast, light game which works pretty well in “party” situations.

Overall: If you are looking for a light “party game” give Apples to Apples a shot. However, if you are looking for a new game for an experienced gaming group don’t bother with Apples to Apples; just play Puerto Rico again instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play it, is without lobbying. the judge picks all the cards up and then plays them one by one, with the worst first and explains why.

Gives an exciting, last 2 kind of feel each round...'Oooh, have i won?...oh bugger...'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the same way, Gothnak.

"I've been 2nd the last 6 times!"

"I'll bet mine is tossed out first!" "No mine!"

"You thought THAT was cheesier than Captain Kirk?!"

Great game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.