If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished watching "The Core" despite being warned off by, uh, like everyone.

That was THE awesomeliest worstest movie ever. I'm sure there have been worse movies. But it's late and the absurdity of it all is SO fresh in my mind.

Wow! It's going to take a lot of readin' to undo what I just did for the last three hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't they make the Earth into a timebomb in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, your post reminded me I've been totally meaning to shred my abs! Thanks!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I watched that movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought The Core was ok. I thought it was better than Amageddon. That one was worse acting and worse plot and characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moderate spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What's hilarious about it for me is at the end. When you think the two still-living characters are going to get together, because such characters always do, even the screenwriter and director realize those two have zero chemistry and send them off with the equivalent of a vigorous handshake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The writers showed that they had no respect for physics. Why should they care about character chemistry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Moderate spoiler:
What's hilarious about it for me is at the end. When you think the two still-living characters are going to get together, because such characters always do, even the screenwriter and director realize those two have zero chemistry and send them off with the equivalent of a vigorous handshake.

OK, so the impossibility of all things impossible to an absolute impossible magnitude had already happened and now the two surviving crew members are sitting there on the bottom of the ocean. My first thought was alright now it's time they're going to accept their fate and we're going to see some screwin'. THAT would seem more plausible than finding a school bus sized object somewhere around Hawaii. But no, more impossible. The Core did establish a storytelling pattern unlike any I've ever seen before.

Blatant foreshadowing
Impossible situation
Lousy special effect
Impossible resolution (At one point, I thought it was likely that they would say something like "Subterranean unicorns can be called by singing. Let's try!")
Useless character death
Blatant foreshadowing
Impossible situation
Lousy special effect
Impossible resolution
Useless character death
Blatant foreshadowing
Impossible situation
Lousy special effect
Impossible resolution
Useless character death
Wash
Rinse Repeat

At the Earth's Core was far more likely than this steamin' heap of celluloid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The movie was so bad that it made my cat bark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it. It didn't take itself seriously and was a fun ride through fantasyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it, despite myself. Then again, I have the flu. And I'm heavily medicated.

The acting was blech (Hilary Swank looked like she was on vacation). The character development was unconvincing. The special effects were a throwback to the 70's. The plot was vaguely reminiscent of a 50's adaptation [cheese] of a Jules Verne novel.

But you want to see some gaudawful crap sci-fi?
Watch anything produced by the sci-fi channel ("A Sci-Fi original!"). gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia's article on The Core has a nice lengthy list of the movie's inaccuracies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Core

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, sometimes you just have to let art flow over you. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
It was better than Stardust.

I actually did not see Core, I have no interest in seeing it based on description. Core sounds like a waste of time. I base my opinion of Core being better than Stardust on the fact that I will not be fooled into watching Core. For this reason alone it has to be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Wikipedia's article on The Core has a nice lengthy list of the movie's inaccuracies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Core

Wow. After reading the movie synopsis, I think it would be shorter to list anything that they didn't make up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a simple action movie. I didn't have any higher expectations than that and liked it as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, why again was molten rock clear like slightly oily water? Amongst many other questions.

This one falls into it's so bad that it never really returns to good for me. I expected bad but fun, this never reached that point of fun. It was just thoroughly obnoxious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had another thought, had they called it Magma Train, I probably would have enjoyed it more. I bet somewhere that's what the title translates into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if, instead of using 'unobtanium' metal for the hull and used government wizards to cast a protection from magma spell on it, people would of thought, "oh, it's fantasy. Well... that's alright then..." and turned on their suspension of disbelief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Maybe if, instead of using 'unobtanium' metal for the hull and used government wizards to cast a protection from magma spell on it, people would of thought, "oh, it's fantasy. Well... that's alright then..." and turned on their suspension of disbelief.
Suspension of disbelief wasn't nearly as much as a problem (for me anyway) as the casting, writing, and general blech of a bad movie. I didn't believe the characters, so I stopped suspending belief for the rest of the inaccuracies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:

I switched over to fantasy mode as soon as they went to see Braz for the first time. I was then disappointed by total lack of mole men from then on out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of, do we have a Mole Men microbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:
Just had another thought, had they called it Magma Train, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

If it was a "Sci Fi Channel Original" it would have been called "Magma Train."
What a shame. Wrong place, wrong time I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.