Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to place an order at a German online store in the near future (playme.de) and I am planning to buy a few children's games. I will probably get Viva Topo and Tier auf Tier, they should both appeal to both of my kids (son,age 4; daughter, age 7), but I am also thinking about buying something more specifically for the older one (my daughter) since she is starting to get into the more advanced games. I asked her what she would like the most and she said that she wanted something where "you write the score down on paper". She got Maxi Yahtzee for christmas and it seems that she most enjoyed the fact that you continuously write down your score during the game. I guess you could call it some form of book-keeping. She loves writing, so I guess I should not be that surprised, but I really thought she would ask for something else.

Anyway, I am at a loss here, since I really can't think of anything but Yahtzee. I found Knatsch which I might buy just since it resembles Yahtzee a bit, but it does not involve this score-keeping she is looking for.

Anyone have an idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just give her Carcassonne and throw out the scoring board. devil

Off the top of my head, two card games I play with my wife have paper scoring: Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper and San Juan.

BTW - Tier auf Tier and Viva Topo are great. Your kids will enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, maybe Jack the Ripper isn't the best choice for a 7 year old? Just saying...

One game that I used to play with a group of 10 year olds was Oh, Pharaoh! which is sort of like rummy with the set-collection but you need one of the players to keep a running score for everyone as they place their cards out. Also very good for reinforcing basic multiplication which is why I was teaching it to the students. There's some trading, too, and the art & theme appealed to the kids.

Another one with a running score is Qwirkle. It goes on a little long for my tastes but it's very popular in my group and I could see it appealing to kids as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, most games have a scoreboard nowadays.

A game where we still need pen and paper is Oh, Pharaoh!.

Whats better: I checked and they have it at Playme.

Its a nice little game with kids, also to train calculus a bit (the 4 yr old will be too young though, as you need to multiply).

Beware:
- you need at least 3 players.
- a lot of people seem to play with incorrect rules. (Especially the end game, and the fact that you may exchange one card at the end of your turn)

Last thing:
To reduce length, you could skip the 'trade' part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These may not be the type of games you were hoping for, but Scrabble and Boggle involve both score keeping on paper and words. I dont know if it would require a Swedish version of these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I'll soon be ordering Catan Dice Game from playme.de.

It's a yahtzee-ish version of Settlers, and only €5.95

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have a look at Rat-a-Tat Cat

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Tumblin' Dice you need to write down scores. There are little write-on wipe-off areas on the board to do so, but you could always use paper.

Coloretto would also work, and it's a fun little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.