Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I snagged a copy of Ambush! a few months back, mainly because of the solo aspect, but also because I wanted to dip into the world of wargames a bit.

I love it.

I haven't managed to pick up any of the Ambush! expansions, but I plan to at some point.

At any rate, the purpose of my post: Does anyone have any thoughts regarding in which direction I should now head?

(Side Note: I picked up Target Arnhem and liked that too, despite having few opponents...)

-Quixote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not easy to find but these are great solo experiences as well: B-17: Queen of the Skies (a bit of a dice fest but I enjoy it) - Carrier - Luftschiff - Mosby's Raiders - Raid on St. Nazaire ... I have a few and I am looking for the rest. Also Silent War and RAF. Sorry for no links - at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to look at GMT's Combat Commander: Europe, which was partially inspired by Ambush. For other solo games, I like Patton's Best, which is another personal-level look at the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's not easy being green
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Yaboo and Alfred. Top 3, B-17, Silent War and RAF. Pattons Best also good choice and I'll throw in the sisters to Ambush, Battle Hymn and Open Fire, Ambush with tanks although it's not rated as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno...I've been enjoying myself playing it solo, but then I mostly play games solo for the experience rather than the system itself. I was mostly suggesting it, though, as a non-solo option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to find the expansions to Ambush first....They really let you run the course for your soldiers...and you think you are attatched to them now....try to rn thru the expansions!

I moved on to Battle Hymn basically due to the fact that is was Ambush in the Pacific.

RAF is a WONDERFUL syustem and I believe being redone in a 2.0 version soon. B-17 is a classic for sure.

Open Fire is a good game...but I like squad games better.

Carrier is also very god but be prepared to put in some time to learn the system then play the game!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Silent War looks great, and I've been thinking about CC:E for awhile now anyway - I think I'll probably try to get both of them eventually. ;-)

Edit: RAF looks good too... Nice to have choices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though this might cause great wailing and gnashing of teeth, you could try SL or ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy Luftschiff from SierraMadreGames.com (It's called Airships at War 1914-1941). It seems to be a great game, but I haven't ordered it yet... Plan to eventually...

Wings Over France is a nice WWI solo game that's not OOP and plays quite well.

And a nice sci-fi solo squad game is Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident, it's recently OOP, but you might be able to find a copy...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would become completely competent with Ambush before moving onto the expansions, there more dramatic in theme but also need a bit more brain power to run, The first expansion Ambush! Move Out! really adds a lot to the game, Ambush! Purple Heart I think started to bog down Ambush, I never bothered with Silver Star. But be warned, Ambush is probably the best solitaire game and you may feel anything else just dosent come up to its standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know that - Airships at War 1914-1941 - i will have to grab that. Thanks for the info.

[ You can buy Luftschiff from SierraMadreGames.com (It's called Airships at War 1914-1941). ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
You can buy Luftschiff from SierraMadreGames.com (It's called Airships at War 1914-1941). It seems to be a great game, but I haven't ordered it yet... Plan to eventually...

Love this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokyo Express is another solitare game that can be a blast.

There is a B-29 game that is loosely based on B-17 coming out soon:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28907

Battle Hymn is the Marine version of Ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Silent War looks great, and I've been thinking about CC:E for awhile now anyway - I think I'll probably try to get both of them eventually. ;-)

Edit: RAF looks good too... Nice to have choices!

Silent War looks very nice. It's been on my want list for almost a year. I plan on picking it up this month. It has been OOP for a while but is expected to be available in the next week or so according to Boulder Games. Compass Games is also working on an Atlantic version of Silent War called Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1. It is scheduled for release in 2008. The website actually says 4th quarter of 2007 so maybe it'll be out earlier in 2008 than later.

[edit: I just saw a post on the Steel Wolves game page that says 2009 for sure with playtesting starting this summer so any hope of seeing this one soon appears to have gone out the window.]

I can't imagine that Combat Commander would play very well as a solitaire game due to the nature of the card element of the game. I'm sure there are better 2 player wargames that would work better as a solitaire game.

RAF is really good but a little more complex than the very similar and also good London's Burning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd encourage you to try some VASSAL games against opponents. Combat Commander is a great choice.

Another that is VERY conducive to PBEM via VASSAL is A Victory Lost.

Ambush is a great solo game and very fun...but nothing beats playing a conniving opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the 3 expansions for Ambush! While I agree with the previous assessment that Silver Star wasn't much of an expansion, when you integrate it with the rest of the series, it's still fine.

I once ran a campaign, playing the scenarios in chronological order, rather than Scenario Number order. It mixed up the good and bad scenarios, spreading out the enjoyment from D-Day all the way to the Rhine!

B-17, RAF and Patton's Best are probably the best of the rest of the WWII solitaire systems. I personally like Raid on St. Nazaire, though I realize that it's not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.