Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Constructive criticism to BBG Traders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some friendly criticism to some of you traders out there. If you have items up for trade it would be great if you had items in your want list.

It's pretty frustrating when there is a game I'm interested in, but the "trader" does not have any "wants" listed to even propose a trade.

Like the title reads, this is just some friendly criticism. Hopefully readers of this post will update there lists.

For what it's worth...

David
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In those situations, they would likely welcome a geekmail regarding your interest...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a nice addition if when you looked at the list of "users wanting", there was some indication that they had an empty trade list (perhaps hiding the "view trades" link for those users).

I like to look at the lists and then look at what those users have for trade, because they might have something I hadn't considered putting on my want lists, but interests me anyway. I rarely do this any more because I'm tired of digging through all the "noise" of people who don't have anything listed for trade.

I'm not saying they're wrong to have empty trade lists at all - I would just like the site to handle it with a little more intelligence.

Edit - it occurs to me that this comment would be useful in the BGG suggestion forum, so I have posted it there also.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

1. Count the bits. Make sure they're all there. If they're not, please indicate. Also, please bag your bits or otherwise keep them from careening around inside the box.


I learned the hard way to never make assumptions about the games that you trade. blush

I had a large, OOP game with lots of little fiddly bits that I traded last year. I had received it in a trade the year before, played it once and decided that it wasn't for me, so I traded it on. I didn't actually count all the bits when I received it - having been told it was complete - nor before I traded it. I just assumed, as I had been pretty careful to pick up all the game components when we were done. It turned out that there were two pieces missing. Fortunately these were not at all critical to the game play and the person I sent it to was understanding. I offered to try to make things right somehow but he decided it wasn't necessary and appreciated my offer enough to leave positive feedback on the trade (which was nice of him).

Anyway, since then I've tried to be very careful with both incoming and outgoing games about counting pieces, but let my own embarrassing experience be a cautionary tale to Drew's point above...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
It would be a nice addition if when you looked at the list of "users wanting", there was some indication that they had an empty trade list (perhaps hiding the "view trades" link for those users).

I like to look at the lists and then look at what those users have for trade, because they might have something I hadn't considered putting on my want lists, but interests me anyway. I rarely do this any more because I'm tired of digging through all the "noise" of people who don't have anything listed for trade.

I'm not saying they're wrong to have empty trade lists at all - I would just like the site to handle it with a little more intelligence.

Edit - it occurs to me that this comment would be useful in the BGG suggestion forum, so I have posted it there also.


It would also be nice if the user's last login was on the "user's wanting" page as well, so you know when not to bother checking their lists also.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion Matt. Why not add it to the thread over there...? If more people are asking for these changes and giving the thread a thumbs up, then perhaps it'll be more likely to be addressed soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Good suggestion Matt. Why not add it to the thread over there...? If more people are asking for these changes and giving the thread a thumbs up, then perhaps it'll be more likely to be addressed soon.


Added...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Good suggestion Matt. Why not add it to the thread over there...? If more people are asking for these changes and giving the thread a thumbs up, then perhaps it'll be more likely to be addressed soon.


Don't hold your breath...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie said that they had raised so much in terms of contributions in that end of year push that they would probably try to hire more help and make more of the site improvements that we've been asking for.

Perhaps this one won't make the cut, but where's the harm in trying...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to just add it to this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84779



anglotiger wrote:
It would be a nice addition if when you looked at the list of "users wanting", there was some indication that they had an empty trade list (perhaps hiding the "view trades" link for those users).

I like to look at the lists and then look at what those users have for trade, because they might have something I hadn't considered putting on my want lists, but interests me anyway. I rarely do this any more because I'm tired of digging through all the "noise" of people who don't have anything listed for trade.

I'm not saying they're wrong to have empty trade lists at all - I would just like the site to handle it with a little more intelligence.

Edit - it occurs to me that this comment would be useful in the BGG suggestion forum, so I have posted it there also.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it more frustrating that people have massive want lists, with nothing for trade.

What am I supposed to do with that? I am not going to spend time assuming that they might part with a game in their collection.

Either way, they should not appear at all in the trade searches.

But I would like to be able to search for those people who want a game which I have, without me wanting anything they have, and have it format it the same way as the direct-trade-matches.

Does anyone know how to do that? It is brutal to try and search the "games wanted by other users" lists one game at a time. Forget it.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:


But I would like to be able to search for those people who want a game which I have, without me wanting anything they have, and have it format it the same way as the direct-trade-matches.



Yes, yes, yes. I would love this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I find it more frustrating that people have massive want lists, with nothing for trade.


I can see how this would be frustrating, but keep in mind that people use want lists for several different purposes, only one of which would be for potential trades.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that 50-75% of people never even bother responding to GM regarding trades(equal value trades out of their wants for one of theirs listed as trading)... then I find later that I have more of their wanted games but I'm certainly not going to send another GM when they didn't have the decency to respond the first time. Not interested? Type in Not interested in a gm... it would take a whole 2 seconds!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that irks me in trading is when I make a trade offer to someone based on their "trades" and "wants" and then I get back the message:

"I don't want to trade away [GAME X]"

Well then, how about removing it from your "for trade" list? Mmmthanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
The only thing that irks me in trading is when I make a trade offer to someone based on their "trades" and "wants" and then I get back the message:

"I don't want to trade away [GAME X]"

Well then, how about removing it from your "for trade" list? Mmmthanks.
Yes this is seriously vexing. I made an offer to one person, they replied back saying that thought they'd like to keep [GAME X] now, but I noticed 2 weeks later, it is still on their trade list. Ugh.

Maybe they were just being nice and they really just felt my offer was crap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
I find it more frustrating that people have massive want lists, with nothing for trade.


I can see how this would be frustrating, but keep in mind that people use want lists for several different purposes, only one of which would be for potential trades.


The game pages pretty clearly state "Want in Trade" next to that little checkbox. The "Add to Wishlist" box is only a couple of lines down...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.