Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I just want to clarify my understanding of the movement rules
in the rules, Bowen Simmons wrote:
... when a corps with two or more units moves by road, the following rules apply:
(snip)
• After the corps enters a locale (even if just to pass through it), no other units can move into or through the reserve area of the locale for the rest of the turn.

• The corps must stop its move on entering a locale if there is an adjacent locale that contains an enemy corps of two or more units.

From the introductory clause ("...when a corps with..."), am I to assume that these rules do NOT apply to detached units?

regarding the first bullet:
is the same true of detached units? Is it legal for a corp to move into or through the reserve area of a locale that was previously used by a detached unit?

if so then can multiple detached units make use of the same road in a turn?

regarding the second bullet:
Is this to be understood literally? or would an adjacent locale with 2 or more detached units also force a stop?

Thanks for any help!

edit:

Let me add a question too. In the Detached Move description
Bowen Simmons wrote:
Units moved by this type of command cannot move by road.

Does this mean that they can't move using the road movement rules or are they prohibited from moving from one locale to an adjacent one connected by a road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
From the introductory clause ("...when a corps with..."), am I to assume that these rules do NOT apply to detached units?

Yes you are correct. Those restrictions only apply to corps with two or more units. A detached unit is not part of a corps.

Quote:
Is this to be understood literally? or would an adjacent locale with 2 or more detached units also force a stop?

Again, detached units are not a corps. Adjacent detached units would not stop movement.

Quote:
Does this mean that they can't move using the road movement rules or are they prohibited from moving from one locale to an adjacent one connected by a road?

My understanding is that you are only moving by road if you move two locales (via local road or local/main road combo) or three locales (using a main road only). If you only move a unit only one local you are not using a road, even if there is a road printed on the map board joing those two locales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to move only 1 locale by road you can. I don't think the rules prohibit this.

I guess one use would be to move a cavalary unit by road, to 1 ajacent locale, following the road to the approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I just want to clarify my understanding of the movement rules
in the rules, Bowen Simmons wrote:
... when a corps with two or more units moves by road, the following rules apply:
(snip)
• After the corps enters a locale (even if just to pass through it), no other units can move into or through the reserve area of the locale for the rest of the turn.

• The corps must stop its move on entering a locale if there is an adjacent locale that contains an enemy corps of two or more units.

(1) From the introductory clause ("...when a corps with..."), am I to assume that these rules do NOT apply to detached units?

regarding the first bullet:
(2) is the same true of detached units? Is it legal for a corp to move into or through the reserve area of a locale that was previously used by a detached unit?

(3) if so then can multiple detached units make use of the same road in a turn?

(4) Is this to be understood literally? or would an adjacent locale with 2 or more detached units also force a stop?

Thanks for any help!

edit:

Let me add a question too. In the Detached Move description
Bowen Simmons wrote:
Units moved by this type of command cannot move by road.

(5) Does this mean that they can't move using the road movement rules or are they prohibited from moving from one locale to an adjacent one connected by a road?

(1) The rules apply to only to multi-unit corps moving by road; they do not apply to single unit corps or to detached units.

(2) Only a multi-unit corps moving by road has this effect on other units moving later that turn; corps not moving by road, single-unit corps, and detached units do not have this effect.

(3) Yes.

(4) It is to be understood literally. Multiple detached units do not have the same effect as a single multi-unit corps.

(5) It means they can't move using road movement. The presence of a road connecting two locales does not mean that any move between those locales must be road movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:

(4) It is to be understood literally.

It is best to assume, for both NT and BaM, that every rule is meant to be taken literally. Bowen's style is to write very precisely, with due consideration given to exact phrasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
bowen wrote:

(4) It is to be understood literally.

It is best to assume, for both NT and BaM, that every rule is meant to be taken literally. Bowen's style is to write very precisely, with due consideration given to exact phrasing.

That's good to know and should answer all my future questions. I tend to approach rules with a bit of skepticism since all too often, imprecise or inconsistent wording is used (i.e. turn and round are used interchangeably, what are originally called units suddenly get called squads)

Thanks All!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a more precise rule writer in all of gaming than Bowen Simmons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.