Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: In the 1950s and 60s, priests in Latin America began to apply Marxism to the Gospel message. They found considerable overlap in terms of aiding the poor and oppressed, being against riches, and even in the idea that 'the last will be first'. Although Liberation Theology, as this melange was called, was widely condemned by senior figures in the church establishment and eventually by the Papacy, it had widespread appeal among ordinary priests and their congregations, helping support the work of rebels like Che Guevara.

Effect: USSR 2 Ops recurring event. Add 3 influence in Central America, no more than 2 per country.

Strategy: This is a good card for getting into inacessible parts of Central America, most notably Mexico. It works well as a headline if followed by Central America Scoring, especially if you already control Cuba and Panama. As USA dealing with this card pre-emptively by taking Mexico is a good idea if you can spare the OPs, and there is always the space race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Background: In the 1950s and 60s, priests in Latin America began to apply Marxism to the Gospel message.

Many important figures of Liberation Theology (Romero, Ellacuria,...) were still murdered by dead squadrons in (as late as) the mid 80's. Many others continue their work today. I guess that's why this event is recurring.

As for the strategy tips, I agree in my very limited experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nasty things about this card is that the Soviets can place their influence into any Central American country, even those under American control. And it gives the Soviets more influence (3) then the Americans can place themselves with the 2 OPs the card grants. So the Americans have to be careful if they play this for OPs and trigger the event, since the Soviets might break US control of a country via the event and take over the country themselves with their own action. It's less dangerous when played as an event by the Soviets, but is still pretty annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I'd ever want to Space Race this card. If nothing else, it'd be a potential waste of a perfectly good Space Race slot. But then I tend to work on the basis that advancing up the Space Race track is a Bad Idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends...if the USSR already has a foothold in Central America then the card is probably fine.

But if the USSR has no prescence in Central America I would not want this event to happen. Its less of a priority than some other space race targets, but still a candidate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.