Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: In 1960 a young, dynamic Democrat was elected President of the USA. J.F.K brought a smile to the White House and his speeches were inspiring. This particular quote is in full "Ask Not What Your Country Can do For You, Ask What You Can Do For Your Country". Personally I'm not very impressed, but then it has become a bit of a cliche, it was probably better then. JFK was assassinated during his term of office (see Lone Gunman) which means that he is viewed very positively, even though some of his decisions are now seen as being wrong (The Bay of Pigs, comittment of troops to Vietnam).

Effect: 3 Ops starred USA Event. USA player may discard up to his entire hand and draw an equal number of cards as replacements.

Strategy: Watch out for the Scoring Card Trap if the event occurs close to the end of the turn- if you discard more cards than you have action rounds remaining you could draw all Scoring Cards and so lose the game. Apart from that wrinkle, this can be a very powerful card, allowing the USA player to ditch a lousy hand or winnow the bad cards from a mixed one. While Soviet events are obvious discards you might also discard low Ops value cards, even your own events if they are going to get a chance to come out again (i.e normally before turn 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaco van Buren
Netherlands
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Been there, done that. I tried to ditch a bad hand an got a fatal scoring card.

'Ask not...' can be used to make sure the mid war deck gets shuffled again. I prefer to keep this card as long as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, while there are USSR cards that are auto-discards, I generally try to ditch all low OPs cards, and any scoring cards where I will not gain points. If the USSR draws this card, obviously it should be played on the last action round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Chace
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This one can be a real lifesaver for the US.

There are some USSR events that you may not want to discard. Any non-starred USSR event is a good one to discard. It helps to know where the scoring cards are, even if you don't wind up in the situation where you have more scoring cards than plays you could draw a real ugly region and have to score it before you have time to fix your position there.

If you can hang onto it until Turn 7 when the deck turns over it's great. Not always possible to do though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
once complained that ussr was unfair, because they had a way of discarding scoring cards (the five year plan). i said it was bs that russia could use an american card to his advantange so easy. "its not an american card" i once said in the heat of passion after my brother got rid of middle east scoring (which i dominated), "its a russian card, because the US have NO WAY of getting rid of scoring cards! what card in the game can give someone seven points besides a scoring card! there is a reason they have to be played."

i get really into board games...

the very next turn was the start of the mid war and i drew "ask not" with euro scoring, which he dominated.
i shut up real quick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the opponent get to see what is discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
rievler wrote:
Does the opponent get to see what is discarded?

Yes they do. The discard stack is common knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eccentric Positionality
Germany
Bonn
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Fight Win Prevail - but enjoy the game whatever happens :D
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this card recently for a cool bluff as US. In Turn 6, my opponent played "Cambridge Five" as Headline and I had to reveal my Scoring cards (Africa and South America).
I threw everything into South America eliminating even presence of Ussrand scored domination. My opponent would have got full control in Africa, but Kennedy's great speech then put away the Africa Scoring card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My coolest move with this card was the time I sensed my opponent was going to headline the original Ames card (4 OPS, look at and order the US cards). I headlined 'Ask Not. . .' (3 OPS) and threw away all the cards my opponent had just set in order. May never happen again, but now I hold on to 'Ask Not. . .' just in case lightning strikes twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eccentric Positionality
Germany
Bonn
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Fight Win Prevail - but enjoy the game whatever happens :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday i played again as US and was rolled over in Asia. I had Kennedy's speech as also South East Asia Scoring. Waited until AR 4, played Kennedy and discarded with a wide grin the SEA Scoring. Then my grin freezed as the new card drawn was Asia Scoring. Not necessary to mention that Udssr scored domination. The path to knowledge is painful ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.