Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very proud of my game collection, and I do game demos for several companies, but in all my time, I have *NEVER* screwed up a rule as badly as I did this time.

We sat down to a four player game, one of which had played Tycoon, but never El Capitan. I had read the rules 'thoroughly', and went ahead and explained the rules. Everyone was fairly sure they grasped the idea, and we went ahead and started.

We made it successfully through the first phase... and everyone brings their limping ships back to port to pay off the HUGE number of loans that we all had. I felt quite accomplished, in that I managed to pay back all three of my large loans, and still had 1gp remaining. That was after managing to get warehouses in five different cities.

Kai, the gentelman who had played Tycoon, commented that he didn't remember cash being quite so painful, or having to sit at port for two or even three turns in a row, just getting loans, but he confessed that it had been a long time since he played Tycoon, and that there were some rule changes.

So, we went into the second phase, and it was during the second phase that we started asking if we were piece limited on the loans. We had managed to spread out all the large loans, and were now having to spend even MORE time in port taking out loans at a pathetic little 10gp per turn. We scanned the instructions, looking for guidance on whether or not you were in fact limited to a number of loans as the number of cards the game came with. But, one of the other players commented that since there were more of the cheaper loans then the more expensive ones, and there seemed to be a pretty decent sized stack, that the number of loans was intentional, knowing we'd be taking so many, and that we should be piece limited.

Finished the second phase, I managed to pay off all three of my large loans, and 2 of my 5 small loans.

At this point, anyone who has played this game must be asking, WTF were these people doing wrong?!?

Well, two turns into the final phase, Kai picked up the instructions. Our turns were taking a fairly long time, so he had plenty of time before it came back to him. Suddenly, he started laughing.

Not a good sign.

He looked at me, and I asked "Ok, how badly did I screw this up?"

His response was that he'd never seen me screw up a game so badly. He pointed to the track where the warehouses are built, and said "Ok, this is how much you get paid at payday, right?"

"Ummm... yeah."

Then he pointed to the harbor space, "Yeah, but this isn't how much you pay to LAND at the island, it's how much it costs to BUY THE WAREHOUSE!"

I closed my eyes in agony. We had been playing where that the amount a warehouse cost, was the NUMBER ON THE SPACE THE WAREHOUSE WAS PLACED. So, for instance, consider Constantinople. The ports have "2" and "3" listed on them, and the spaces are listed at "0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12..."

By the rules we were playing... the horrifically WRONG rules... the first player to go to Constantinople (assuming no one was there) paid 2gp to 'moor' at the island, then either 0 or 2gp to put up their warehouse. The second player (assuming the first player hadn't left) paid 3gp to moor, then either 0 or 2gp (whichever the first player hadn't paid). If these two players stayed where they were and kept buying warehouses, player 1 would pay 4gp on the next turn, and player 2 would pay 6 gp for the next... 8gp from player on his next turn and so on.

If you consider this miserably broken scheme... Let's say both players built 3 warehouses each (and player 1 reopened his warehouse before the phase ended). Then Player 2 would have warehouses on 2, 6 and 10. Player 1 would have warehouses on 4, 8 and 12 (the 12 he got for free). So, Player 1 spent a total of 14gp (2 in mooring, 4 and 8 for warehouses), and Player 2 spent 21gp (3 in mooring, then 2, 6 and 10 for houses). And as reward, player 2 gets 14gp, and player 1 gets 7gp. Meaning that both players ended up LOSING 7gp.

And you wonder why we needed so many loans?

So, please, remember this horrible mistake, and get the costs of the warehouse correct. Thankfully, ALL of my players are very eager to try the game again, because with the rule corrected, it looks like a really good game.

But, as I said above, IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES, this game is horrifically broken!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick update to this, we got a chance to play El Capitan with the correct rules, and it was a significantly better game. All the players enjoyed it, and out of the five player game, the top three players had 200gp, 196gp and 194gp, so it was exciting right down to the end. The player with 194gp had, I believe 8gp worth of travel cards that he didn't use, so it was *THAT* close a game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeno Szabo
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel too bad, we did almost the same yesterday. After three hours of agonizing decisions, we realized that we played it completely wrong. That is what I call tight money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first game I taught myself and played with the family that I really feel confident that I didn't break.

Your mistake was humorous and wow would that change things. My family was complaining about starting with only $20 - imagine if I made them spend 4 or 8 or 12 per warehouse!?

Hopefully you give it another try with the right prices. I really enjoyed this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the same thing tonight.

Totally broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.