Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-report note: This was my first time playing the game. Used the based game only.

Sadly, not it the right frame of mind for a narrative report.

So, just the basics.

I selected my investigator and GOO at random.
I played as Darrel Simmons, the photographer, and I figure his Hometown Advantage power was about 70% responsible for my eventual win. Darn near every Arkham encounter, the first card was something like "A monster appears" or "Blah Blah Blah You are lost in time and space" which with Yog-Sothoth is insta-death. My second cards were always good though. Pass a luck check, get a free unique item. Pass a sneak check, get two clue tokens. So, in the end, that draw two and pick one encounter power was a major lifesaver.

I did not fight a single monster the whole game, but instead ran around them to gate locations, and managed to seal three gates, and close one more, before Yog-Sothoth finally awakened.
(Incidentally, if a gate doesn't open on a given turn, does the GOO still get a doom token? I put them on it, but I wasn't sure if that was right.)

When I hit the point where I obviously wasn't going to pass the will checks, and started loosing my gate trophies, I unloaded with full fight, using my Tommy gun (great first draw), and thanks to some lucky rolls, the fusillade of bullets chewed its squamous form to bits.

One Old one down, 7 to go...

Incidentally, when you figure your score for a game (using the guidelines in the rules) do you count trophies lost due to the GOO's attacks?
If yes, I scored 14 pts on this game, if no, only 10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First time Investigator. Photographer defeats Yog-Sotho
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:

(Incidentally, if a gate doesn't open on a given turn, does the GOO still get a doom token? I put them on it, but I wasn't sure if that was right.)

Nope. Only if a gate opens (events with "a gate and a monster appears" do count as a new gate!) or if some other event tells you to put a doom token up.

TiwazTyrsfist wrote:

When I hit the point where I obviously wasn't going to pass the will checks, and started loosing my gate trophies, I unloaded with full fight, using my Tommy gun (great first draw), and thanks to some lucky rolls, the fusillade of bullets chewed its squamous form to bits.

Must have been extremely lucky or you were blessed before the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First time Investigator. Photographer defeats Yog-Sotho
If one can make it past the monsters on the board, I would think that starting the game with 1 investigator and fighting the GOO at the end should be easier that it seems. To remove a doom token from the GOO requires successes equal to the number of players. So if you only started with one player then the GOOs only require 10-13 successes to beat. Not impossible if you have the Tommy gun (+9 to combat check) and a high fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.