Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been discussed before but I still haven't seen a consensus.

I play with most of the original Runebound rules except one. In my games, you can heal all wounds for one gold. I've played the game many times and in my opinion, the original healing rules unnecessarily lengthen an already lengthy game.

They also lead to situations where characters purposely let themselves get killed rather than escape after accumulating a number of "expensive" wounds.

When it only costs one gold to heal all wounds, you tend to want to escape challenges that aren't going well. (I never use the "soft" knockout variant -- you still lose your most expensive item if you don't have the good sense to back out of a fight you're losing).

The game also speeds up because you're able to acquire better items a little faster. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this rule hurts those characters whose "bonus ability" is tied to healing and/or exhaustion. Lessening the XP needed for leveling seems far less detrimental to the system than either this or "soft knockouts", and speeds up the game just as dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the original rule. Just don't get hit!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm always leery about tampering with the rules on a game that's been decently playtested.
But I'd like to hear from a few more players too.

I can see where you might escape from more challenges if they look like they're going to be bloody and therefore expensive with the original rules. Perhaps a better way of playing the game.

I'm just worried that this unnecessarily penalizes a player who through no fault of his own gets a few unlucky rolls especially at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that really concerned me with healing was that in a few games I've played, one character would get in a mid-game situation where he had a lot of wounds, didn't have any money for healing, yet didn't want to lose his other gains (weapons, allies) either.

So the player in that situation would enter an entire sequence of turns where he would try "cheap" challenges, way below his current power, just hoping to get some gold out of it so that he would finally get his party healed. Given that some challenges won't give you gold at all, I've seen people lose many turns on that little scheme.

So I came up with this:

If they begin their turn on city space, heroes can skip their entire turn to get a "Temple Phase". They roll a single movement die, and get for X "gold's worth" of healing, where X is the # of symbols shown (2 or 3). So by rolling 3 symbols, you could remove 2 wounds & all the fatigue on your hero, for instance. It's not actually gold, and cannot be saved for the future. If the hero still had some real gold left, he can also spend it there.

In my games, this option is used about 1.5 times per session on average. (I do also give extra gold, though, so the variant would be used more if I didn't, obviously.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
So I came up with this:

If they begin their turn on city space, heroes can skip their entire turn to get a "Temple Phase". They roll a single movement die, and get for X "gold's worth" of healing, where X is the # of symbols shown (2 or 3). So by rolling 3 symbols, you could remove 2 wounds & all the fatigue on your hero, for instance. It's not actually gold, and cannot be saved for the future. If the hero still had some real gold left, he can also spend it there.

I like this variant a lot. More of a setback than paying one gold to remove all wounds, but not quite as punishing as the original healing rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.