Subject: Quickly Played Out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Quick Call by Discovery Toys is a card game for children ages six and up, and plays in about 15 minutes.

What You Get

You get a smaller box which contains 100 colorful cards with simple color drawings of various objects, like hats, lemons, bicycles and ducks. The cards are reasonable quality, but nothing special.

What You Do

There are a couple ways to play. The simple version has 10 cards dealt onto the tabletop. The active player calls out a number of ‘sets’ of three images, and must declare why the three items form a set. Possible answers in clued “they are all round”, “they all start with w”, or more creative ones, like “ they all get smooshy when wet”. If all player’s agree with the declarations, the player gets the cards matched, and it is the next player’s turn. Continue until the cards are done, winner has the most matches.

The regular game, each player has three cards in their hand. A card is turned face up and then everyone races to make a set of three using the card on the table, and the three in their hand. First one to call an acceptable set wins. Three sets wins the game.

What I Think

While this is a very good idea to get children thinking about categories and sets, in practice I think the lifetime of the game will be limited. Unless some way is thought of to reduce re-use of standard categories (“living things”, “round things”) the usefulness as a learning tool will rapidly diminish. It is possible for adults to play alongside children, so that’s a positive. One quibble I had were that some of the objects are not that easy to identify: we were not sure that it was a potato being depicted, for example, and some objects will be culture-specific, like a baseball. Overall, a somewhat useful learning tool/game, but only a mediocre response from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.