Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I soloed CoP this afternoon in anticipation of teaching a couple of my Euro playing friends (including the Wife) and had quite a few questions. Most have been answered by looking through the rules posts here, but I still have a couple. My brain hasn't been working that well today, so I may have missed obvious answers in the Rulebook, for which I apologise. Anyway:

1. (The most trivial!) Who starts the game? Is it according to the order for who takes the Turn Marker in the event of a tie (i.e. Tonga, Raiatea, Hiva, Samoa)?

2. Do Colony pieces have to be revealed to be replaced with a Village? If so, when are they revealed?

3. On the Player Aid it says that Colonies are replaced by villages in the second substep of the Building Phase. I can't find a reference to this in the rules. Does this mean that pieces can only be built in Island Groups which are Controlled at the *beginning* of the Building Phase, and not on Islands which become Controlled *during* the Building Phase?

4. Retreat is causing me some confusion. From p.7:

"When all of one player’s front-row Battle Pieces have
been Removed or Panicked, then the Battle is resolved.
That player must retreat any surviving Pieces from the
contested hex."

This implies that only the *losing* player retreats pieces, i.e. the winner does not. But, also on p.7:

"Regardless of whether the attacker or defender was
victorious, after winning a Battle (and, for the attacker,
deciding on whether to “save” any Villages) the winning
player’s non-Warrior Pieces and Panicked Warriors join
any victorious Warriors in the hex."

Is this redundant, since the winning players panicked pieces never actually retreated anywhere? Or does the winner actually retreat their pieces, which I think might mean that if they only have one victorious piece they may not be able to save a village on a conquered Independent Island (since the removal of that victorious piece would not fulfil the requirement to always have a piece remaining on that Island group.)?

5. Do Home Island Groups count towards the VPs for Controlled Island Groups in the transport chain connected to the Home Island? I presume 'yes', so if I simply had my Home Island Group with a Transport Canoe but not connected to any other Controlled Island Groups, I will still get +1 VP?

Thanks for bearing with these questions. I hope the game goes down well; I think the most difficult aspect will be keeping track of hidden pieces - I can't even remember what the ones I build are!

Cheers

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:
I soloed CoP this afternoon in anticipation of teaching a couple of my Euro playing friends (including the Wife) and had quite a few questions. Most have been answered by looking through the rules posts here, but I still have a couple. My brain hasn't been working that well today, so I may have missed obvious answers in the Rulebook, for which I apologise. Anyway:

1. (The most trivial!) Who starts the game? Is it according to the order for who takes the Turn Marker in the event of a tie (i.e. Tonga, Raiatea, Hiva, Samoa)?

This is covered in the rule book but not highlighted very well. See top left of page 4 "1. Turn Order" last sentence of the first paragraph.
jonbryon wrote:

2. Do Colony pieces have to be revealed to be replaced with a Village? If so, when are they revealed?

I think this is assumed. While the game does rely on a great deal of trust as it can't be adequately audited without an umpire, the other players will assume you have removed a colony when you place a village.
jonbryon wrote:

3. On the Player Aid it says that Colonies are replaced by villages in the second substep of the Building Phase. I can't find a reference to this in the rules. Does this mean that pieces can only be built in Island Groups which are Controlled at the *beginning* of the Building Phase, and not on Islands which become Controlled *during* the Building Phase?

The two step process prevents counting a village for building point purposes if it didn't already exist at the beginning of the build phase. So, a colony that is turned into a village does not add build points to the turn in which the village is formed (2nd paragraph on page 9).
jonbryon wrote:

4. Retreat is causing me some confusion. From p.7:

"When all of one player’s front-row Battle Pieces have
been Removed or Panicked, then the Battle is resolved.
That player must retreat any surviving Pieces from the
contested hex."

This implies that only the *losing* player retreats pieces, i.e. the winner does not. But, also on p.7:

"Regardless of whether the attacker or defender was
victorious, after winning a Battle (and, for the attacker,
deciding on whether to “save” any Villages) the winning
player’s non-Warrior Pieces and Panicked Warriors join
any victorious Warriors in the hex."

Is this redundant, since the winning players panicked pieces never actually retreated anywhere? Or does the winner actually retreat their pieces, which I think might mean that if they only have one victorious piece they may not be able to save a village on a conquered Independent Island (since the removal of that victorious piece would not fulfil the requirement to always have a piece remaining on that Island group.)?

If all your pieces move off the front row, you have lost and must retreat. Seperate that from what happens in conquering an island.

In resolving the post battle conquest, the warriers that remained in the front row get to be leveraged as part of the conquest. After that procedure is done, those that were held back or panicked then join those that remain on the island hex. Therefore, the winner has both their unpanicked warriers/war canoes and any pieces that were kept in reserve or panicked stay in the target hex if they win the battle.
jonbryon wrote:

5. Do Home Island Groups count towards the VPs for Controlled Island Groups in the transport chain connected to the Home Island? I presume 'yes', so if I simply had my Home Island Group with a Transport Canoe but not connected to any other Controlled Island Groups, I will still get +1 VP?

That is how I interpret the rule

Enjoy the game - it's a nice blend of light wargame and Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron's answers are all right, but I'd like to expand on them a bit.

1. The first turn begins in the same way as every other turn. Since the players are all tied with 3 Victory Points each, then Tonga wins the tie-breaker, takes the Turn Order Marker, and decides who will go first and if play will proceed clockwise or counter-clockwise.

2. What Ron said. It would be polite to show your opponents your Colony as you trade it in for a Village.

3. The rule reference is page 9, second paragraph under Villages: "...after you have completed all other Builds, you may then replace your Colony Pieces with Village Markers..." This is for two reasons: what Ron said is correct (don't count this new Village for your Build Points this turn) and what Jon said is correct (pieces can only be built in Island Groups which are Controlled at the beginning of the Building Step, and not on Islands which become Controlled during the Building Step).

4. Don't forget that a Battle is resolved "to one side", with only the Battle marker in the hex in question. So when the rules say "the winning player’s non-Warrior Pieces and Panicked Warriors join any victorious Warriors in the hex" it doesn't imply that they had retreated away anywhere, it means that they are returned from "to one side" and placed in the hex.

Note that the requirement to always have a piece remaining on a conquered Island Group is only for Island Groups printed on the map. For Island Group Tiles, the new orientation of the tile indicates which player Controls the place. It's possible to win a Battle, replace all of the victorious pieces with "saved" Villages, and end up with no pieces in the Battle hex at all!

5. You always get the 1 VP for your Home Island Group. That's why you start the game with 3 VP: two for Villages and one for your Home Island Group. Even if you don't have any Transport Canoes at all, your Home Island Group is still considered to be "connected to your Home Island Group".

Hope this helps!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron and Kevin,

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions. Things are becoming much clearer!

Regards

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.