United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm looking for a very specific type of game for a friend and I'm stuck as to where I should go. I'm looking for a fantasy-type game that fits the following criteria:

Non-violent is a MUST
Preferably a very large world (think Heroscape)
Must support a two player game, but extending to more would also be nice (but not required)

I realize it's a tough order to fill, that's why I have unleashed this question to the geekmasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy and "non-violent" aren't really compatible terms in regards to gaming... Movies... Heck, and literature...

Are you sure your friend is interested in the right genre? I don't think Candyland is quite what they're hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of non-violent fantasy-themed kid's games. But then, they're kid's game.

How about Carcassonne? Add in the Dragon and Princess if you'd like. Or Elfenland. That's got a fantasy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Return of the Heroes and it's expansion Rise of the Dragon. They are as non-violent as you can get. There is conflict, but not a bunch of "I bash the lizard man over the head with my tree-trunk of slaying". They are more like "Ohhh, a BMN (Big mean nasty)! I guess I will attempt to defeat it! I will roll against it. I win!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about Blue Moon City? Blue Moon City The players are constructing buildings in a new city. Its non-violent and good for two players but goes up to four. Its not really a large world, but I guess if you like the setting you could move on to play Blue Moon (I haven't played this but it sounds like the different groups are at war so could be too violent) which is set in the same world. The art for Blue Moon City is lovely as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
You might try Return of the Heroes and it's expansion Rise of the Dragon. They are as non-violent as you can get. There is conflict, but not a bunch of "I bash the lizard man over the head with my tree-trunk of slaying". They are more like "Ohhh, a BMN (Big mean nasty)! I guess I will attempt to defeat it! I will roll against it. I win!!!"

Close, but better would be Return of the Heroes with the Die Rückkehr der Helden: Die Gralssuche expansion. Instead of trying to defeat a big baddie like the Nameless One or the Dragon, you're trying to find the Holy Grail. The only combat in the game are occasional encounters with ghosts, Saxons, or other small minions of mischief. The large portion of the game with this expansion is entirely peaceful and non-violent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magdar is a fantasy game about dwarves unleashing a balrog (called a "lava troll") and trying to get various treasures out of the mine before the troll destroys things. The troll destroys various tiles, but sends the various dwarves back the entrance (losing a turn), but there's no real violence.

Maginor is a game where apprentices are trying to become the new master wizard. Players try to influence the oracles who will then vote on the new wizard.

Wizards is out of print, but it's a game of fulfilling quests before the land sinks into darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogma wrote:
Fantasy and "non-violent" aren't really compatible terms in regards to gaming... Movies... Heck, and literature...

Are you sure your friend is interested in the right genre? I don't think Candyland is quite what they're hoping for.

I agree with you, it is a tough match. The recommendation is for a kid, but any game, short of a 'heavy' game should work

And, wow thanks for all the fast responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few non-violent fantasy (Euro)games. The problem is the "very large world" requirement. If you can ignore that, Blue Moon City, Elfenland and Dragonland are all good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Elfenland is a great fantasy game but not so good with 2 players (though it supports it)
I think King of the Elves plays much better as a 2 player.
Drakon (third edition) is good -- the only violence is being eaten by a dragon and "respawning" at the start.
Iron Dragon is a railroading game set in a fantasy world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with Elfenland, it's a fantasy race game with no violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll third or fourth the recommendation of Elfenland. It is a nice fantasy-themed race game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: Elfenland is probably your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Eggert
Germany
Munich/Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A completely non-violent and very colourful fantasy game is most certainly Wizards. The world presented here is actually very peaceful, but there is also conflict represented by the darkness taking over the land. http://wizards.dewkid.com/ has a faithful rendition of the game as a computer version.
It is quite difficult and challenging, also very unique in atmosphere. A good game for the wife who doesn't like orcs and warfare!
Elfenlands is not really a fantasy game, but an abstract racing game with a fantasy theme slapped on. You won't find any atmosphere there akin to a fantasy novel, even though it is an ok game. "Wizards" is as atmospheric as it gets in my opinion.
Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Eggert
Germany
Munich/Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very large world = Wizards yes (large changeable map of a fantasy world), Scepter of Zavandor no (no world at all to explore)
good two player game = Wizards yes, Scepter of Zavandor no
completely peaceful = Wizards yes, Scepter of Zavandor yes

Both are very good games, but Wizards fits your criteria the most!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For an difficult request I give you two out of the ordinary solutions:

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game

Since you basically make up a story together you can direct the story in any way you choose. While not exactly a traditional fantasy game it does have fantasy elements on the cards although they are more closely tied to fairy tales. The world can be essentially as large as your imagination can make it.

Tales of the Arabian Nights

I've never played this but have looked into the game a bit. It's sort of a 'create the story/experience' type game but you don't have the control you have in Once Upon a Time. It is still an intriguing game however and very different. There are a variety of ways to play so I would imagine you could get some good non-violent enjoyment out of this game. Long out of print and a grail game for many over the years it is now being worked on by Z Man Games with an expected Fall 2008 release. I'm not sure how this one fits the "large world" requirement but since it is based on Arabian Nights I'll assume the extent of the 'world' would be sufficient
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recomendation of Tales, although sometimes bad things happen to your character (gets hurt, imprisoned , dies, etc...) it's pretty non violent.

A totally non violent fantasy game would be Celtic Quest. You travel between villages trying to get resources to be sold and completing quests (which also are about bringing resources to a magical place). It seems to be a nice Pick'n'deliver game...

Edit: Also, Dragonland is a nice game for kids and adults to play together. A fantasy theme and a game about collecting sets of colored gems and dragon eggs. My son loves it...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Dragonland. Great kids game, enjoyable for adults, fantasy theme, no fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Aladdin's Dragons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that came to mind was a unique card game involving drafting: Fairy Tale.

It is quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe no one's added Busen Memo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always thought that Da Amulett looks good, but I haven't played it. Also, I think that Die Magier Von Pangea would fit the bill. I own a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came upon this interesting thread and started looking at reviews posted for the various games suggested.

Here is a review for Wizards that I think you should read. Based on what you are looking for, this one really sounds like it fits the bill perfectly. Even the title of the review leads us to believe this game is a perfect fit Fighting back the Evil Hoards with Love Children and Swans

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/154669

Let us know which one you (or whoever)end up choosing and how they liked it.

Cheers,
Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll 50th Wizards.
I only played it because it was on a geeklist of free computer game versions, I swear! I deleted it as soon as I realized there weren't graphic depictions of dragon and orc dismemberment! My masculinity is not in question here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdoms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.