Subject: A Huge Thumbs Up For Zev And Z-Man Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased a copy of Duel In The Dark and discovered that the infamous mold problem with a number of copies of Duel In The Dark had afflicted the one I had purchased. After contacting Zev at Z-Man games, he offered to immediately send out a replacement box and insert (everything except these 2 things was unscathed) at no charge to me whatsoever. The package was here 2 days after being shipped and everything arrived in excellent condition.

I applaud Zev and Z-Man games and give them a hearty thumbs up! I'm sure he has already been established here as a class-act, but I figure one can never receive too many kudos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a hobbyist would applaud a company for doing something they are supposed to do. Maybe you should applaud Zev for taking your money too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you for bringing great customer service to our attention. Regardless of others opinions and whether or not it is what they should do for comapnies to respond so quickly is always nice to see.

My experiences with Z-Man has always been fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Only a hobbyist would applaud a company for doing something they are supposed to do. Maybe you should applaud Zev for taking your money too!

It's a beautiful world when someone jumps on you for saying something nice. It is a company's job to provide customer service but good, quick and proffessional customer service is becoming a harder thing to find.

Perhaps someone is using to much Chicago Meth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagometh wrote:

Foul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow. maybe i should have spoke up when i got my copy of castle merchants. it was pretty stinky, but i was able to wipe off most of the mold on the board.

well at least its still playable....how i regret leaving my copy of advanced civ in the trunk of my car one winter a few years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a joke folks...don't take things so seriously. Crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaze1599 wrote:
Good for you for bringing great customer service to our attention. Regardless of others opinions and whether or not it is what they should do for comapnies to respond so quickly is always nice to see.

My experiences with Z-Man has always been fantastic.

I think that Zev went above and beyond what a company is obligated to do. He could have easily said "you bought the product, it was messed up by the printer, not me" and then told me to live with it. While that obviously would have been poor form to do, Zev did much more than was required.

I honestly feel quite bad about the whole mold fiasco with Duel In The Dark. I can imagine that the entire replacement process has cost Zev a good chunk of $$$. Bravo to him for being willing to accept a financial hit in order to provide a sterling standard of customer service to his patrons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, I have to say that the caliber of games coming from Z-Man games seems to have been exponentially increasing lately (last year or two). That may just be my perspective.

Thanks Z-Man

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagometh wrote:

Mocking someones appreciation of a companies extra efforts was probably not the most well thought out thing. Next time you want to apply that brand of wit... add in a few emoticons to show your lightheartedness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my 1960 game came, I received two Nixon tokens and none for Kennedy. As you can imagine that put Kennedy at a huge disadvantage not being able to play cubes and all......

Anywho.... I contacted Zev via email and like the OP got a replacement block in a matter of days. It was a nice deposit in the bank of goodwill. You can tell a lot about a company by how it recovers from its mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
You can tell a lot about a company by how it recovers from its mistakes.

No doubt. I worked in customer service for seven years before my current job, and my experience was always that if you do something bad (er, not on purpose, of course), and then fix it in a good way, the impression the customer has of your company will actually be better than it was before the original error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
TedW wrote:
You can tell a lot about a company by how it recovers from its mistakes.

No doubt. I worked in customer service for seven years before my current job, and my experience was always that if you do something bad (er, not on purpose, of course), and then fix it in a good way, the impression the customer has of your company will actually be better than it was before the original error.

That was what happened in my case. Z-Man games went from "just another publisher" to a higher standard and a place to look at first for new games, in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamburg
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Anywho.... I contacted Zev via email and like the OP got a replacement block in a matter of days. It was a nice deposit in the bank of goodwill. You can tell a lot about a company by how it recovers from its mistakes.

I had a similar experience a few years back with Reef Encounter. Zev sent a friendly response to my e-mail within hours and I had the replacement parts within a week. Of course it took me a year to get the game on the table after that.

I felt that Z-Man was obliged to fix the problem with my game, but the speed of the response really impressed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
my experience was always that if you do something bad (er, not on purpose, of course), and then fix it in a good way, the impression the customer has of your company will actually be better than it was before the original error.

Which sadly seems true, yet crazy. Wouldn't it be better to always receive a product in great condition, instead of sometimes receiving a defective product and having to request a replacement (however quickly and courteously sent)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
my experience was always that if you do something bad (er, not on purpose, of course), and then fix it in a good way, the impression the customer has of your company will actually be better than it was before the original error.

Which sadly seems true, yet crazy. Wouldn't it be better to always receive a product in great condition, instead of sometimes receiving a defective product and having to request a replacement (however quickly and courteously sent)?

I guess I look at it this way. Say I am playing a game where I have to roll dice. Ones through fives are good; sixes are bad. I agree that always rolling 1-5 is best. But in my mind, I know that it is only a matter or time before I roll a six. Now, say I have a card that allows me to change a six into a one. In that case I have no fears or concerns about rolling the dice.

Same with customer service. Even if I have 10 perfect interactions with a company, I know few things in life are perfect so I may wonder/worry what happens when my "luck" runs out. A company that has recovered from a previous mistake negates this concern as I know they will make it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I read Travis' profile too. And I will valiantly defend his right to mock people who defend publishers, designers and retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I read Travis' profile too. And I will valiantly defend his right to mock people who defend publishers, designers and retailers.

I read it, too. I like the "I'm not a hypocrite if I do it first" attitude of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagometh wrote:
Odd timing for a joke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am happy.
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Be Good, Play Happy
badge
By the power of Greyskull!
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagometh wrote:

Hey, do you know a guy named Michael Barnes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...Of course it took me a year to get the game on the table after that.

I felt that Z-Man was obliged to fix the problem with my game...

Yeah, he should have sent some people to your house to play the game with you!

I do agree Zev offers GREAT customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aube
Canada
Ste-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with Zev when I bought 1960. The board had been knocked (obviously in the printing shop as the box was in perfect condition) and a few of the corners were damaged. Nothing that prevented me from playing, but not what I expected from a brand new game.

Zev respeonded within hours and 2 days later, the replacement board was in my hands. That's what I call tremendous service!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to be part of a hobby with so many quality people working to produce great product. Zev (Z-Man) and Jay (Rio Grande) are among the best...but there are so many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.