Subject: quick review & looking forward... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Schlais
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impressions of the Memoir Air Pack are very favorible. While I am very much a BGG newbie, I have been a little surprised with the lack of tactical WWII games with a combined arms feel - both army and air force. While I admit these forces had different command structures and combat goals they often worked in tandem. Though I think the air pack is pretty expensive for what you get, I really think it brings a lot of new ideas to the game and a lot of fun.

I've only run through 2 senarios with my wife and another 3 solo, but I really like how the airplains bring new features to the game without diminishing the role of existing units. and they are more then flair - they can play important roles in some senarios.

out of the box pros:
the minis look pretty cool. as others have pointed out the scale is a bit off, but I understand why DOW built them the way they did.
All the senarios in one books is sweet!
the reference cards are a great addition.

out of the box cons:
I wish the minis were a little different in their abilities and strengths. The Corsair could fly rings around the Zero! I have the same issues with Tigers vs. Shermans - just my personal opinion.
as I pointed out above, $50 retail seems a bit high...

but, at the end of the day, this is a pretty cool expansion to an already really good game. (I hope Battlelore receives an expansion of this quality soon!)

what I'd like to see going forward:
a 2nd expansion with dive bombers & air superority fighters (Plus some fixed & mobile anti aircraft units/tiles)
-Douglas Dauntless
-Junkers Ju-87 "Stuka"
-Hawker Typhoon
-Aichi D3A1 "Val"
-Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (as close to anything the American's had in the European theater to a ground attack single seat fighter)
-Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik
-North American P-51 Mustang (you know this has to be included in some future release!)
-Messerschmitt Me 262
*In this Air Pack II I would also add new rules for some of the existing fighters to play different roles - I really like the Storch and it's special abilities!

actually, I could see a totally seperate game branching out from this expansion from DOW, and I think that would be pretty cool. Memoir could always be played with the air packs, but they wouldn't have to be played together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review but...

Quote:
as I pointed out above, $50 retail seems a bit high...

It's $40 from the DoW online store and $35 from Thoughthammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schlais
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah... I paid to much - $50 - 10% discount card at my local flgs.
but I don't have any problems paying a few extra bucks to support a local store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supporting your FLGS is one thing, put paying 25% over MSRP is another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle wrote:

So true!Loyality stops at Rip Off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trigeek37 wrote:
(I hope Battlelore receives an expansion of this quality soon!)

I think I read B1-Bombers are being printed now for Battlelore. When they attack, you do not roll dice. The expansion comes with a plastic arm to swipe the units off of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle wrote:

I've given up supporting any of my FLGs any more...you can save so much money online it's ridiculous and have product delivered straight to your door - I always go with the cheapest online price and damn the loyalty factor these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schlais
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle wrote:

I ended up actually receiving my Air Pack from Shophiatt so I exchanged my overpriced Air Pack to my FLGS and bought Asia Engulfed... oh, the downward spiral continues...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.