Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 12.31 indicates that "each time a player loses a land battle in his home territory in which he loses battle points from combat units ... or in which a city has been attacked and its defense lowered to 3BP" he may immediately raise militia following resolution of the battle.

1. Does "land battle" include a siege battle? Thus if the defender loses a siege battle (due to higher percentage losses) but the city defense is not lowered to 3BP (because defending units were reduced instead), can he raise militia?

2. Or does the lowering city defense to 3BP include any defending units, so that really only when the city is captured (3BP defense due to no walls or defending units) is it possible to raise militia?

3. Scenario VI allows Egypt (Ptolemy) to automatically raise militia after losing a battle in home territory. Do the above restrictions apply? Are naval loses excluded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an official ruling, but if it came up in a game, I would rule thusly:

1. The second case of 12.31 is for when a city is undefended, so it gives a provision for raising units in that situation (even if no units are lost in the siege, the reduction of the city walls allows for raising militia). Any losses of actual combat units whether defending a city or on the field is a sufficient condition for raising militia units.

2. Keep in mind that lowering a city to 3 BP does not necessarily mean it falls. There could still be plenty of units defending.

3. Same restrictions apply to Egypt as the others. Egypt is the only non-player power that can raise militia. Losing a sea battle is not a sufficient condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
1. Does "land battle" include a siege battle? Thus if the defender loses a siege battle (due to higher percentage losses) but the city defense is not lowered to 3BP (because defending units were reduced instead), can he raise militia?

Really good question. Michael is right and I would support that ruling, but I think it needs to be simplified a bit, since there's actually no such thing as a Siege in this game - battles that use cities are more (at this scale) than just sieges. So I have no recollection of why we differentiated between knocking a city down to 3 BP and, say, just knocking it down to 4 BP. It's still a Land Battle in the home territory. So is attacking a Town, whether defended or undefended.

The reason "Land Battle" is specfied is simply so that we don't get militia raised because of a Naval Battle in one's home territory.

Michael G, what do you think of getting rid of the second point and allowing militia to be raised for ANY land battle in one's home terrority (with a reminder that attacking Towns or Cities is still a Land Battle)?

Quote:
3. Scenario VI allows Egypt (Ptolemy) to automatically raise militia after losing a battle in home territory. Do the above restrictions apply? Are naval loses excluded?

Restrictions still apply, and no, not naval losses. Naval losses never generate militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil, I would be happy with that change. It makes sense for the militia to be callable (there is a cost in stability!) in any land battle. It's more consistent, more simple to understand, and should not have any negative consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
Neil, I would be happy with that change. It makes sense for the militia to be callable (there is a cost in stability!) in any land battle. It's more consistent, more simple to understand, and should not have any negative consequences.

Then let's do it.

So, add "Towns and Cities" to the definition of "Land Unit". I have to double-check that this doesn't screw anything up, but that's the idea.

And define Land Battle as a combat by or against Land Units.

And change:

(12.31) Raising Militia. Each time a Player loses a Land Battle
in his Home Territory in which he loses Battle Points from Land Units
other than Militia units themselves, immediately following the resolution of that Battle and before anything else occurs, the Losing player may make an immediate call for additional Land Units. This emergency levy calls up Militia units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
1. The second case of 12.31 is for when a city is undefended, so it gives a provision for raising units in that situation (even if no units are lost in the siege, the reduction of the city walls allows for raising militia). Any losses of actual combat units whether defending a city or on the field is a sufficient condition for raising militia units.

I still have a doubt here:
- if in a battle in home territory the defender loses 1 wall point from a Town but wins the battle itself, is the defender allowed to raise militia? On one hand he won the battle, but on the other hand he lost some walls.
- in the case of a city, were you can lose 1 or 2 wall points, does it make a difference to activate the militia? Is the key having lost the battle?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must lose the battle in home territory to have the option of raising militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.