Subject: I'm confused... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Schlais
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought Caylus last week and opened it up Thursday night. While I am no uber-geek, I'd like to think I am fairly intelligent but I am still having a hard time with the rules to this game...

questions:
1) when do you pay for placing workers? right when you drop them? if that is the case, do you basically place workers till you run out of cash?

2) how/when do you build buildings?

3) why am I not getting this game?

any help with a quick turn walk through would be greatly appreciated, or a link if that already exists. I searched, but there is a ton of content in the Caylus forum so I might have missed this sorta info.

thanks,
-Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trigeek37 wrote:

questions:
1) when do you pay for placing workers? right when you drop them? if that is the case, do you basically place workers till you run out of cash?

Right when you drop them. You usually arrange to have enough money to place all the workers you want to place beforehand (i.e. on the previous turn)

Quote:

2) how/when do you build buildings?

Ok, quick turn walkthrough:

First, in turn order, each player places workers, one at a time, paying the current rate (starts at a buck). In lieu of placing a worker, they can pass, which ups the rate for others to play workers by a buck (unless they play on their own buildings).

After all players have passed, then each building, starting at the end of the road nearest the castle, is activated. If there's no worker there, nothing happens. If there IS a worker there, the power of the building occurs: the first space (The gate) lets you put the worker somewhere else, some buildings give you resources, some buildings let you trade money for cubes, and some buildings let you build other buildings of a given colour (brown, grey, green, blue). The cost to build a building is given on the building you would like to build. After a worker has been activated, you get him back (except for the inn: the last building before the bridge) for use next turn. This procedure stops with the activation of the space with the provost on it (the tall short white guy).

After that, the castle is activated, and all players with workers in the castle contribute any number of batches to the castle, gaining the rewards as listed on the board/in the rules.

Then the provost and baliff (tall and short white guys) move: the tall guy moves two space farther from the castle if the short guy is farther from the castle, and one space otherwise, then the short guy is moved to the tall guy's space.

Cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schlais
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you sir are my hero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, and thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent reply, except for one small mixup:

The seneschal (SMALL white guy) decides the last space where work is done.
The bailiff (TALL white guy) is moved one or two spaced at the end of the turn: One, if the seneschal is on or before his space, two if the seneschal is ahead of him.

Then the seneschal joins the bailiff on this space.

And, when using the guild or bridge, it's always the seneschal (SMALL white guy) that's moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another hint:
You can watch running games on brettspielwelt.de (they also have an English interface, don't worry). The animations there make it pretty clear what happens in what order (except for the worker payment, I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. I'll go fix my post. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing. After you have actived all the buildings that are printed on the board (before the bridge), every player, in the order that they passed, get a chance to move the provost, either forward or backward, 1-3 spaces at a cost of one coin per space moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider the bridge to be a building on the road: this is the way I teach the game. It simplifies the explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
I would consider the bridge to be a building on the road: this is the way I teach the game. It simplifies the explanation.

Interesting... as long as you don't let the sensechal (small white guy) cross the bridge. He's not allowed. The first building after the bridge is always guaranteed to activate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trigeek37 wrote:

I recently learned this game and had the same problems. You aren't getting the game because the rule book was written terribly. I learned by downloading some of the Caylus aids/files here and reading the rule book several times. Also, you can go to Brettspielwelt and watch some games in progress. That may help. It's well worth the effort. The game is actually not difficult to play and extremely fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
trigeek37 wrote:

I recently learned this game and had the same problems. You aren't getting the game because the rule book was written terribly.

Agreed. Two of us spent four hours one day, just trying to understand the rules, then a few days later three of us spent five hours reading the rules and playing it once. Once we got through it, we realized it's not a very hard game, but it's one of the most miserable rules books it has ever been my displeasure to decipher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ururam Tururam
Poland
Krakow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Experimenting Warlock
badge
Caffa et bucella per attractionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised reading this thread. The game manual seemed quite clear to me (with the noticeable exception of functioning of the fourth row of royal favors). The rules were well stated, and quite clearly explained with fairly good examples. After reading the booklet twice I was able to play my first game (of course I looked into the rules a few times during that game). I've seen many rule books written much worse than the Caylus one... I would rate it 7/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Vogel
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Devin, that will help considerably. I too was baffled by the rulebook, and after one attempt, decided that the expression of the king on the front of the box was a good approximation of how much fun the game was to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, my wife and I had a confusion about this particular point about the bailiff vs. the provost. Not that it really matters, as long as all players agree which is which (the tall one vs. the short one).

But I'd swear at least the English rules state that the short guy is the Bailiff (I can't vouch for the French, German, etc), whereas on BSW the tall guy is the bailiff.

Am I crazy? (Like I said, a rule check when I get home will tell me for sure, but it was interesting that someone else had them switched.)

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.