Panagiotis Deligiannidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mb
I have read several articles but I am not sure :

1. ..if I need an expansion

2. ..if yes..which one?

I love the game and I would like to give it a new twist for my co players to play it some more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is the Calif's Chamber (#4). The City Gates (#2) is alright. I had and sold/traded away the Vizor's Favor (#1). Never got and don't intend on the Thief one (#3). It just doesn't appeal to me.

Calif's has the treasure rooms and the invaders, both excellent expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
None. The game plays fine in its basic form. Either the rules or descriptions of each expansion are available on the pages for the expansions. Read them and ask yourself if any will really enhance Alhambra--or just add more rules for the sake of selling an expansion.

Unlike Carcassonne, where the base game is a little too uniform and too easy to count tiles in, Alhambra starts with a very full design. Carcassonne benefits from the variety added by I&C and T&B; Alhambra doesn't need more variety. Sure an extra building color might work, but I don't think that's one of the expansions. In other words, don't expect your experience with Carcasonne expansions will be a good guide to Alhambra expansions.

You might consider Vikings. Like Alhambra, it matches some economics with some mild tile placement. It's about the same weight as Alhambra. It is excellent at all player numbers, 2-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
Decide for yourself:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1991328#1991328

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/272816

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/273565

These reviews were posted last week. They are well written and very detailed.

Looks like there is a good chance the final review will be posted this coming week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find there to be too much luck in the basis game. It is possible to find yourself in a position where the money cards just don't fall for you with respect to how the city tiles are allocated. No matter how well you try to optimise you will lose. With several of the expansions in play you get the option to potentially do something else useful when there are no tiles you can buy and no nice coin set available to you. I therefore found the game to be much more interesting.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.