Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Davis
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Octego is a new two-player strategy board game just released by Willow Tree Games. (And yes, I'm the designer of the game and founder of the company.. I should admit that up front.) It was designed for people who enjoy how easy Checkers is to play but who want more of a challenge and more strategy during a game, and for people who are interested in Chess, but who are intimidated or overwhelmed by it. I feel there are a lot of people in that gap who would enjoy something that brings the best of both those games into something new and unique.

Octego is slowly making it's way into local stores near me, and can be ordered directly from the Willow Tree Games website, but check out the listing on here and talk to your local game store owner about carrying it. Feel free to post any questions to me, or contact me through the company website, and hopefully I'll see some of you at future conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link: Octego

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an interesting game, Joe. Welcome to the site, and good luck with your game and company!

Also, you can add your web site to your publisher's page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very intriguing. I am a total sucker for cool looking abstracts, and this has purple pieces to boot! I may just have to pick this up.

Good luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Davis
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks! I'm looking forward to learning all about how the industry works and eventually competing with the big guys.. if that's how things go. In the meantime, I hope there's a positive response to my first game. So far, hard core gamers, little kids, Chess players.. any one who has tried it has liked it a lot. Hopefully people here will like it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Looks like an interesting game, Joe. Welcome to the site, and good luck with your game and company!

Also, you can add your web site to your publisher's page.

Also, ask an admin for a Designer badge.

Looks interesting. You should try to get it implemented online somewhere (there are LOTS of sites to play/try out abstract games) so people can try it out too. I think it looks interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Davis
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That's a great idea! I've thought about that. And I didn't know I could ask for a Designer badge. I'll do that. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Good luck in your venture. From the website, I can't tell enough about the game to know how much it goes beyond just being two simultaneous, overlapping checkers games, which by itself would not be enough to interest me. Can you tell us more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Davis
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Two overlapping Checkers games would be a good description in terms of how easy it is to play, but there are 4 kinds of pieces, each able to move differently. Some move 3 spaces per turn, some move 2 spaces per turn, and some move 1 space per turn. And the pieces can sometimes change what grid of spaces they are on. This can be important since the goal isn't to wipe out your opponent, but only to capture two key pieces... or to move either of them to the other side of the board (and these move 1 space at a time and cannot change grids). The amount of strategy involved is many, many times that of Checkers, but you can really only plan about 3 moves in advance at most since there are too many things your opponent could do. This makes it much easier to play than Chess, but you can use several pieces together like in Chess when trying to get an opponent to make certain moves.

I hope that helps some. It's hard to re-invent the wheel, but I believe the board is something original, and the game mechanics are unique enough to distance the game just far enough from Checkers or Chess to give players of both those games something challenging yet refreshing to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should link your website to the game so people who are interested can buy it! It looks like a fun game. Nice board and components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you should probably post at least a brief rules summary in the forums for the game. I look at lots of abstract games and many have no information in the forums at all, which suggests that nobody loves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.