Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new "Great American Lager" commercials from Budweiser aren't obviously funny to me. For some reason, however, I keep waiting for the punchline. I never hear anything that sounds like it is supposed to be a joke. However, there is a moment in one of the commercials when he raises the glass in such a way that the horse in the painting behind him appears to be filling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, Budweiser commercials aren't meant to be funny. They usually strive for something timeless and touchy-feely, or perhaps novel. (And usually involving animals.)

Now Bud Light is a different story. I'm looking forward to their new crop of Super Bowl ads; with the writer's strike still going on, those spots will likely be the funniest things on TV this season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Now Bud Light is a different story.

Yeah, the "Dude" Bud Light commercials are pretty funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
"What's up with the frogs? Am I supposed to want to drink Budweiser because some damn frogs are doing some crazy-ass thing? I don't get it."

I had occasion to tour the ad agency that produced the first of those ads, right after they produced it.

The only reason the original ad got produced was because the long-time ad agency lost the Budweiser account, with a standing contract for the production of one more ad.

The agency was pissed about losing their biggest account, so they threw the last ad at 'the new kid' so he could cut his teeth (they expected it too be crap). Also, Budweiser did not bother to 'approve' the ad concept, since they were already reviewing new advertising at the new ad agency.

Since Budweiser didn't get a chance to screw up the original ad, it won the ad agency awards. But they still (had already) lost the account.

So then the new ad agency was stuck doing sequels to what was only a one-shot ad idea; since Budweiser was then screaming about how good it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
For the most part, Budweiser commercials aren't meant to be funny. They usually strive for something timeless and touchy-feely, or perhaps novel. (And usually involving animals.)

Timeless? Like the wazzup ads?

Wazzup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I thought that the "Frog" 'ads' were just an indicator of WHAT their "product" was approximately ascribed as tasting akin with~their 'urine'!
robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw them and don't get it either.

otscotty wrote:
The new "Great American Lager" commercials from Budweiser aren't obviously funny to me. For some reason, however, I keep waiting for the punchline. I never hear anything that sounds like it is supposed to be a joke. However, there is a moment in one of the commercials when he raises the glass in such a way that the horse in the painting behind him appears to be filling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and they just look at me like "Sorry, man . . . I've got to finish the highlights of the Fall Creek Crickets game."

Ha! Being from northern Wisconsin, this made me laugh. Especially since my school was in the same conference and Fall Creek was one of the most hated teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they may just be intended to give Rob (right name?) Riggle a job while he is off the Daily Show cuz of the writer's strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
On the original subject:

Those ads struck me as weird too. They produce some serious cognitive dissonance, because they are made in every way to look sincere, except the actor is completely insincere. Everything about the ad except the actor seems to be intended as genuine and serious, from the settings to the writing, to the other actors in the ads. But, unlike the usual sort of actor you'd expect to see, this guy gives off the aura of a used car salesman. When he smiles he looks like a sleaze bag who needs a good punch in the face. The effect is almost funny but I'm not sure it was intended to be funny.

You could say (like Kodfoot above) that it is automatically a successful ad if it stuck in your mind, but I'm not so sure. For me the effect is more creepy than anything else. The only thing I wonder about is if the effect was intentional or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.