Subject: A Quick Review of Memoir ’44 Scenario #1: Pegasus Bridge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Memoir ’44 (M44)

Scenario: Pegasus Bridge – June 6, 1944

Publisher: Days of Wonder

Number of Players: 2 players

Game Length: 30-60 minutes

Recommended age: 8 and up

Game Designers: Richard Borg

Scenario Theme: The Allies, Major John Howard’s mission, the first airborne assault of D-Day, is to capture two bridges, the Orne Bridge and Pegasus Bridge. The British won the day by capturing their objectives quickly.

”Special” Scenario Rules: The Allies receive a bonus VP while they hold either the Orne Bridge or Pegasus Bridge. As the Axis where caught by a surprise attack, they begin the game with only two command cards. After each of their first two turns, the player controlling the Axis gets to pick up two command cards instead of one. Therefore, he or she plays the remainder of the game with four command cards. Positive “special” rule.

Scenario Balance: The Allies begin the game with two extra units and two VPs on the board, while, the Axis have a superior defensive position. This scenario is well balanced.

Strategic Complexity: M44 is by design “light” on strategy. In general, the Axis, have a defensive advantage over the Allies and it strategically makes sense for them to wait for the Allies to bring the battle to them. That being said, as each scenario has special rules and modified starting positions, some scenarios offer players more strategy than others. This scenario offers a moderate level of strategy when compared to other M44 scenarios.

Replayability: As there are no Armour, Artillery or Special Forces units used in this scenario it can get old pretty fast. That being said, the purpose of this scenario is to easily introduce new players to the game.

Overall Rating Memoir ’44 Scenario #1 Pegasus Bridge:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A Quick Review of Memoir ’44 Scenario #1: Pegasus Bridge
Just played my first game of Memoir last night. I was the Axis and I got wrecked, altough I did put a hurt on the British. The British just have too many troops. Unless the Axis gets lucky, the English should win through attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding member of Meeples Anonymous
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I played this scenario, I was the Allies, and promptly got chewed up by the Axis. It took a little gentle suggestion from my husband to show me the strategy to use to win this scenario.

M '44 is a lighter strategy game than many out there, but this really is the perfect scenario to introduce players to the game. It taught me that "running and gunning" may work in an MMO on the computer, but it definitely does not work on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Bianca kept advancing steadily on my position. She slowly but surely brought in large numbers of units and I was just outgunned. I agree that this is the perfect introductory scenario. It teaches you just enough tactics and makes you hungry for more depth and detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Huebner
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played this one twice against friends and thought it was fairly well balanced but odds are definatly in the allies favor. Then I played an apponent on vassell and quickly learned that the axis left flank has three victory points with only two units. Doh never really put that one together but I will remember that from now on. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fair points here, although I'm struck by the suggestion that this scenario is balanced. With over a 2:1 win advantage (1069:500) for the Allies (per the DoW site), this one is hardly balanced. It doesn't have the worst imbalance, per the stats, but it's far from the most balanced.

Without trying to sound like a jerk here, I wonder whether there isn't a better place for such analyses than in Reviews. If it were, say, in Strategy, it could still be considered for GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Jim. I couldn't believe it when I saw that you thought this scenario was well balanced. I find that the Axis will rarely win this scenario. HOWEVER, the scenario was reworked for the Air Pack expansion and it seems like they helped Germany out a bit. Now the night attack rules are in place, you need 5 medals, the Allies can't use barrage, and only the Germans can make air strikes. If anyone has played the new version, I'd like to hear how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to just point out that Memoir really does play best when the players play both sides. This then takes out any question of balance.

I like what you've done here BJ but I'd echo Jim's comments that this really feels more like a strategy guide or other such article (analysis perhaps?) as opposed to a review.

The scenario is excellent for beginners to as it keeps to 1 unit type and offers only 3 different terrain types. This keeps it rule light for beginners allowing them to ease into the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Point Taken Gang, I'll post my next one in Strategy.

I suppose I overrated the balance on this review. I aimed to rank it decently overall because it works so well as a beginner scenario. However, as a beginner scenario, I coudn't give it a high complexity rating... I've fallen victim to my own rating system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reworked scenarios in the air pack help to make games more accurate
1 Nigth rules (attack was in the dark)
2 No Barrage ( th brits had no artillery)

Amos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.