Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Slobotski
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let's say I am standing next to an open manhole and want to use the sewer system. Let's also say I want to use all three movement points. Which scenario below is the correct one?

Scenario A:
Movement 1 - Onto open manhole
Movement 2 - Wasted
Movement 3 - Onto destination's open manhole.

or Scenario B:
Movement 1 - Onto open manhole
Movement 2 - Onto destination's open manhole.
Movement 3 - One space away from manhole.

My wife and I have been playing with B but I have wondered if A is the correct method. The rules say something about "using a movement point to use the sewer system" but we aren't in agreement with what that means.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario B is correct.

In Scenario A, you are making the sewer system cost 2 movement points.

Every space you move into is 1 MP. Just think of all spaces with open man-holes as adjacent to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario B is correct.

In my opinion this makes manholes amazingly powerful, and makes it very hard for either player to make a good decision while moving/using characters. There just seem to be too many options to consider most of the time. How do other people deal with this problem? Or maybe you don't see it as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drez wrote:
Scenario B is correct.

In my opinion this makes manholes amazingly powerful, and makes it very hard for either player to make a good decision while moving/using characters. There just seem to be too many options to consider most of the time. How do other people deal with this problem? Or maybe you don't see it as a problem.

After you play it for a while, some of the best moves become more intuitive. If you keep it simple enough to say, am I trying to get this character witnessed or not (whether as the Inspector or Jack), then you can narrow it down from there as to where they might go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Drez wrote:

Experience and practice (and probably carry-over skill from playing a variety of many other games). It doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as the opposite of a problem. If all the possibilities were easy to figure out, the game would become boring very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
just one short word to confirm that scenario B is the good one !!

have fun..
bruno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gregory duff
United States
Ft.Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll drink to that!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with Scenario A the entire time....I must have read it wrong.

Scenario B certainly feels the right way to play, but for some reason I got thrown off by the wording in the rules.

Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
me drinky too, fall in manhole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
I need somebody to clarify one point for me. Let us say that I am two hexes away from a manhole I wish to use and I want to move to a manhole where another character's token is placed, though not to accuse them of being Jack. I use two movement point to move there (onto the open manhole), one movement point to use the sewer, and because I now have used all three of my movement points am I allowed to move onto a hex next to the destination character's manhole? This is how I have played this addictive game since its purchase last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Two of your movement points to reach the sewer, one to travel through to the other manhole. If there is someone on the destination manhole, you cannot move through. Your third movement allows travel to the other manhole - but can only be used if it is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers! Thank you for the very quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.