Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Red or Black Powder?

How crazy is this? Writing a review for a deck of cards!

Admittedly, not just any deck of cards but Pegleg Pete’s Deck of Royal Rogues (PPDORR), from Bent Castle Workshops, courtesy of Chris Pallace and Ben Crenshaw.

PPDORR is the second deck of cards to be designed by Ben Crenshaw – his first deck is marketed under the name of Pippoglyph Playing Cards.

To be honest, I still have trouble understanding how a deck of cards can justify having a separate entry here on the BGG website – but aaaarrrhh! If there be a listing I be just the type of rogue to review it.

PPDORR comes in two colours – Blood Red or Powder Black. This refers to the dominant colour on the back of the cards. In both cases the design is basically two skulls with each skull surrounded by daggers (or swords). The cards are good quality with a linen finish. The cards are neither especially thick nor especially thin. If Goldilocks were to write this review she would probably describe the thickness as being, “Just Right!” To be honest, even the box they come in is high quality, with a glossy finish and a flip-top.

PPDORR is basically just a set of normal (or should I say ‘almost’ normal) playing cards. Four suits (hearts, clubs, diamonds and spades), Aces through to Kings plus two jokers. There are also 4 Serpents (1 of each suit) which are marked in the corners with an ‘X’. There are two other ‘merchandising’ cards with promotional stuff on one side and a poem on the reverse side of one of the cards, and a note to the effect that you are allowed to make up your own rules on how to use the Serpents.

With Ben Crenshaw being an artist (or graphic designer if you prefer) you would expect the art-work on the Court Cards to be something rather special. And you would not be disappointed. A lot of thought has gone into the art-work. There are all the usual sort of paraphernalia that most of us associate with pirates – swords, telescopes, treasure maps, tattoos, monkeys, parrots, wenches, treasure, etc. All the cards have a tan-coloured centre which works as a back-drop to the icons on each card. The deck really is very attractive. I actually have replaced all the ‘Tens’ with Serpents – the ‘X’ is Roman for 10 and it just makes playing with the cards a little different.

Having said all this however, after the first few playings (which were cute) we now tend to use our Pippoglyh decks in preference to PPDORR because we find the tan-coloured background on the cards to make it just a little more difficult to see what we have in our hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to reject this review. I was offended that a deck of normal cards would get its own BGG entry but then I decided that it wasn't your fault and if it has an entry it might as well be reviewed.

Great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Giles
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I have these cards...you mean I could have bagged some free GG for doing a review on cards...There are no rules in the box other than to say use your imagination to use the serpent cards.

They are piratey though which is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can only get away with it if you Pirate in your name, so you should be good. Now the real question is can you get away with a session report. I shuffled my cards and said argggg matties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You said it wrong! Aarrgggg is what you say when you are choking. Real pirates say, "Aaaarrrh".

And I don't think you guys are taking this seriously.

Now, I've got to go and shuffle those cards and then write a session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Giles
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use Garrrrrrh to get a more guttural southern Caribbean accent in my pirate affectations.

I have shuffled mine too...me-hearty we should do a joint review and session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Anne Morency
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Euchre with my 66 and 70 year old inlaws last week... dunno if that helps. They are pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

....Mr.Pyrate, you have scammed us once again. These cards should have been used for your SKaaaaarrrrT review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eiknip wrote:
I played Euchre with my 66 and 70 year old inlaws last week... dunno if that helps. They are pretty.

Pretty?

The cards or the inlaws?

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding art design a masterpiece the best pirate card themed out there !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.