Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dickman
United States
Overland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were looking for a quick game to play while other members of our local club were finishing up their games when someone suggested we pull Cartagena from the many bins of games scattered around the shop. This was my first introduction to this fast-paced race game, and an excellent filler in between the much more expansive games.

There was little to set up. We joined the many floor boards together, omitting two pieces in order to speed things along. The three of us involved chose colors (I went with blue which had brought me luck in my previous game) and placed our pirate at the starting point. From there, the one experienced player explained the rules, dealt cards, and we were off.

It was very easy to shoot out ahead of everyone else, but that was also the easiest way of expending all of your cards quickly. I found it better to at least get all of my pirates in play, moving them in as much of a group as I could, so that no one got left too far behind. Even so, I spent a good deal of time backtracking early on in order to pick up more cards.

The game progressed fairly quickly, and before I knew it, I had my first couple of pirates in the boat. From there, I took a look at my remaining pirates and found I had indeed let a couple stray behind from the pack. So while I had to force some of my pirates backwards to gain more cards in order to move those pirates ahead, the other two players were steadily making their way to the boat.

In the end I came in second of three, managing to get most of my pirates aboard before the winner stranded my remaining mates on the island. This was a great game to play right after a much more in-depth game. It very much lightened the mood, and the notion of pirates running over themselves in order to be the first ones on the boat gave the game a lighthearted quality. I managed to find and purchase the sequel to this game the very next day, and have been enjoying it ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey McNabb
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job, Thanks! I've been considering this one for quite a while, and your accounting gave me just the nudge I needed.

I think this one will round out my next order!
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dickman
United States
Overland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I was able to help you out in your decision to get this game. I especially enjoy the ability to make a shorter game by simple omitting one or more of the floor pieces, without it drastically affecting the way the game is played.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.