John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be playing this card wrong. It says:

Pay 0 endurance >>> Put three +1 ATK / +1 DEF counters on Colossus. Use this power only once per turn and only during the recovery phase.

Does this mean that during every recovery phase he goes up +3/+3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It means every time he's in the recovery phase AND he's not stunned he can use the power. If he's stunned, you have to find a way to recover him before your free recovery if you want to get his power off. There are a number of X-Men with the same power 'definition'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time my son gets this guy out it's basically game over. That explanation at least helps. I need to read some deeper rules. The basic rulebook that comes with starter decks is pretty weak for understanding the game beyond the first couple of plays. I swear we're playing it all wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how many times I've had to figure out the finer points on some of these cards and the rules. You just don't need to know a lot of the finer points except in specific circumstances. The comprehensive rulebook is insanely difficult to digest... but excellent reference when needed. If you have any other questions about the game or any of the cards, feel free to ask. I suppose you might want to start a new thread if you do though, because nobody else will read this thread if they aren't wondering about Colossus.

Speaking of Colossus, what do you have to deal with him? Are you just using cards from that same set? Are you playing a Brotherhood deck? Maybe I can come up with some ideas for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossus is big and scary, but if you're hitting the other guy harder you can just work around Colossus and mostly ignore him. That's not always the case though, so what if you MUST get rid of him... and you're playing Brotherhood and only have access to the X-Men set.

Kill the Flatscans

Colossus is probably in the front row with someone behind him. Have a flier take out the support character and then hit Colossus with someone big and be ready to up the Attack as needed (there are many ways to do this). Newbie hint = Just because you draw it earlier in the game doesn't mean you have to play this card to kill some other annoying X-Man. When you KNOW what you're up against and you KNOW that Colossus is always ruining your day, SAVE the cards you need to focus your hate on him.

There are other cards you can use to keep Colossus out of the action while you battle everyone else : Blow the Man Down, Chill Out, Mind Control.

Drain Essence is an option to Kill the Flatscans. With KtF, you have to cut Colossus' support first if he has any. Maybe you can't do that, but you do have an Energy character to exhaust to play Drain? This is the card for you then. Also, when using Drain you could drag Colossus down with a team attack if need be whereas a team attack isn't going to help you with Kill the Flatscans.

Here's another more general strategy tip that could help with Colossus and will probably help your gameplay in general. REMEMBER HOW THE QUEUE WORKS! When you're performing various actions they keep stacking up on the queue and then they are eventually executed in the order of the LAST one played first. So let's say you have a card to KO a stunned character and he has a card to recover a stunned character. Colossus is stunned. If you play your KO card on to the queue, he plays his recovery card. The recovery would happen first and then the KO tries to find a stunned character and fails. But what if you wait and he plays his recovery card to get Colossus up so he can use his power to get tokens? THEN you play your KO card. YOUR card happens first then and HIS card is the one that gets burned uselessly.

And if you just want to be sneaky and you hate those tokens that Colossus gets, pick yourself up a Sonic Gun (from an earlier set).

Whenever equipped character attacks a defender, exhaust that defender. Equipped character has "Activate -> Remove all +1 ATK / +1 DEF counters from target character."

Just a few ideas to get you thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas. I downloaded the rules today to try to see how many things we're doing wrong.

My son's a huge comics fan, so I got him the starter set for Christmas. I bought two boxes of boosters (Marvel Origins) and I give him packs from time to time "for being good". That part's working great.

We're just playing the older cards since they're cheap. He's playing mostly XMen, I'm playing Brotherhood and now my daughter wants to play so the two of them are negotiating who gets XMen and Fantastic Four.

I'm quite sure we're playing quite a few things wrong and we have no idea how any card combos really work since we don't have many cards yet. For example, I don't think I've seen any of the Plot Twists you mention.

I'd like to go to a FLGS when I get back to the US to just watch some people play and see what sorts of things we're doing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assumed you were buying into the same set that Colossus came from and went from there when listing cards(oh well). Marvel Origins, however, was the first set... so it doesn't take into account a lot of the ideas added later on, Reservists being one example. Finishing Moves are a great common card for getting rid of pesky men of metal. As the Brotherhood, your greatest asset is to dish out a lot of pain... and fast. You'll probablly want to focus on which locations are available to you. Savage Land is a great card for making 'suicide' attacks with your little guys versus their big guys. Also, check out the combo of Lost City and Avalon Space Station. Lost City lets you power-up for +3/+3. Avalon Space Station lets you get the card you used to power-up and do it again. Over and over again. If you can get that combo going, Colossus will be showing up in time to see nothing but wreckage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Marvel Origins because it was really cheap and had the teams we were interested in. I doubt we'll get cards from all sets. I'd rather just build a bunch with this set for now so we see most of the cards before we move on. I figure Marvel Legends will be next, but we may wait until it is outside the tournament window before we get much of it since the price will drop at that point. Since we have no interest (at least for now) in tournaments, I don't see a reason to pay a premium for the current set, even though I'm sure it is excellent. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Colossus have to exhaust to get the counters? I assume not. I get confused with activate, the little arrow, etc. when the card has to exhaust and not. "Tap" in M:tG was pretty clear. I find it less clear in Vs when I have to exhaust or tap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll always see the word ACTIVATE if you have to tap to pay for it. As Kihu said, the little arrow just shows it's a payment power. But the payment is "free" so who cares? There are certain characters and cards who can affect payment powers, like the Scarlet Witch. That's why Colossus' "growth" power is defined as it is.

Here's something else that drove us crazy remembering when we first started so maybe I can help you out. Sometimes you see an effect that mentions a target. For example, Finishing Move will KO target stunned character. So when you put it on the queue, you declare a legal target. When the effect actually goes off, you look again to make sure that's still a legal target (i.e. the target character is still stunned) or the effect fails. Other cards say something like "Opponent may not target your characters this turn". That specifically means that the word "target" has to be on the card they're trying to play. If they play something that affects your characters and it doesn't say "target", that's different.

Hmmm, what else? Oh, you must pay your costs when you place an effect on the queue. So let's say Colossus' power said ACTIVATE instead of FREE. He'd tap, place the effect on the queue, and if it somehow is unable to go off later... no refunds! He doesn't get to untap.

Back to the queue again. Let's say that your opponent has Avalanche and you're tired of him Activating to destroy your locations. Let's say that Avalanche is ready. You can't stop him from destroying a location this turn. No matter what you throw at him, it'll go on the queue and he can still activate to put HIS effect on the queue too. And what if you KO Avalanche somehow before his destruction effect triggers on the queue? Doesn't matter. Once the effect is on the queue, it's independent of its source. It's going to happen no matter what you do to Avalanche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.