Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems harsh but in a two player game if the first player draws a hookup and a bond (or break-up) the first round and the second player draws a hook-up and a break up, then the second player has an extreme advantage.

First player plays their hook-up (their only choice).
Second player plays the break-up
First player plays the bond (or break-up) to no effect
Second player plays the hook-up

Now the first player has nothing and the second player has a relationship.

In the second semester, the second player now goes first and strengthens the bond to avoid losing the first relationship and it seems that the second player has now has a real advantage that can't be overcome easily.

In the third semester the second player can again prevent the first player from adding to their clique going into the scoring round up by at least one card and possibly more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With more players, the problem only gets worse for the first player.

Any fix for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's part of the theme. As freshmen, nobody has any friends.

(But, really, I don't know the answer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear an answer to this, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a house rule when I play. The first bond formed in any relationship is given 2 bond points. This prevents the instant breakup that seems to be a big weakness of the game. I've played this way several times and it seems to fix this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like it would make break-ups too hard to do. No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. The last game I played, I used this rule and I still had a helluva time keeping any relationhips together. By the end of the game, my clique consisted of two students and one organization.

But you can always modify the house rule. Perhaps making it so that only the first hookup of each season gets the extra bond point. It probably wouldn't be too powerful then, if that's your concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play 2-player? Rulebook problems made our first play a total flop. My wife might only give this one more shot so I want to iron out as many issues as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with initial hook-ups granting two bonds and it played okay. Not very many break-ups, though. It seems like all the fun in the game is building up your clique, but you actually score points by tearing down your clique when you 'sell' bonds for signatures. Seems counter-intuitive and counter-fun. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prasant Moorthy
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played this twice but house rule I had was no breakups on the first semester of the game. Basically avoids the issue you mentioned - first player having a disadvantage. Still allows for a cutthroat game however, since all you're avoiding is that initial optimal strategy for later players, once the first semester is done, players still have options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the right way to play it is that the cards don't go away until the end of the year if the bonds are broken so they can be repaired. An immediate removal of cards just breaks the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.