David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some charts I generated for the turn-based Twixt Championship tournaments on the Little Golem website at www.littlegolem.net These have been going on since May of 2003. The 17th cycle has just begun. New players begin with a rating of 1500 and are placed in Fourth league. First league has one section, usually 9 players. Second league has two sections (two separate tournaments), third league has four, and fourth league has eight. The idea is, the top two finishers in each section are promoted up a league. The bottom four finishers are subject to demotion.

Turn-based means you make moves whenever you visit the website, which is not necessarily when your opponent is logged on. Each game might take weeks to finish, but you can play lots of games at the same time. In a tournament, everyone plays one game against everyone else.

Little Golem also has a monthly championship cycle as well as rating tournaments. You can also challenge anyone you want or post an invitation to play. Over 20,000 games have probably been played so far. All these games are available to examine. Contact me if you want more details.

Attendance has dipped somewhat recently, but first league has been inexorably getting stronger. Now the average is at 2195, the highest yet. There are some incredibly strong players there, from Hungary, Poland, Germany, and the US. One possible metric for determining how deep a game is could be the rating spread on servers, especially popular servers like LG. The strongest player is currently rated 2436. The highest Twixt rating ever achieved on LG was about 2450. If you are not familiar with the Elo rating system, these numbers might not mean much, but they are very impressive IMO. Also I predict average first league ratings will continue to climb, and the highest rating will cross 2600 some day. If that happens, that would be good evidence that Twixt compares to chess in terms of depth. I'm not saying it's as deep as chess, just that it is in the same ball park.

Feedback is most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.