Subject: Conquest of complexity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules have, as a basic challenge, the need to convey mechanisms which are not simply drawn from other games and brought together. That makes the first play tricky as you don't know if you are executing a particular mechanism correctly. I suggest reading through the BGG forum posts for rules clarifications.

This is definately a light wargame more than a full bore Euro. Given that, though, there are very few unique pieces and the in-play number of bits is quite manageable. We resorted to keeping the canoe chain counters face up seperate from the face down stack which helped reduce some of the fiddling. You'll need a plan and a reasonable memory to avoid peeking at your hidden stacks on each island every turn.

I can understand being underwhelmed if you went into this expecting a Euro. Given that GMT is the publisher you should have expected a wargame that happened to be light and have some cross over appeal to the non-wargamer community on BGG.

Oh, and with respect to all that blue, it really is mostly water and I'm completely amazed that anyone would sail off looking for some land into a vast ocean of blue. I'm a landlubber at heart I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one reason for allowing players to place discovered islands face-down is that this prohibits other players transport and war canoes (and thus colonies) entering this hex. To enter the hex other players have to send their explorer there to discover it too. What this means is that your explorer can discover an island, but because you don't have any colonies to send there soon, you can keep it hidden until you are ready to colonise it. If you had to reveal it straight away, other players could colonise it more easily before you do. For them to have a chance of colonising it, they have to use up a move from their Exploration Phase first.

I agree with you on rules complexity. I think 10-15 minutes is unrealistic. This afternoon I will teach the game to my wife and a friend. They are used to 'heavy' Euros (Caylus, Puerto Rico, etc.) but I think CoP will be much more of a challenge. My two main concerns are the hidden units and the special rules within the general rules ('a transport canoe can go here, but not there...'). There is a lot more rules verbiage to be remembered in CoP than any other Euro I've played...wish me luck!

Cheers

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rumor marker is particularly handy right at the start of the game as it can help obfuscate your initial purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't announce your purchases, you just figure out your spend in your head and then collect the counters (with rumor counters as you see fit). There is a very high level of trust in this game so all you should be doing together (if at all) is announcing your available build points. Then you independently place your hidden bunch of counters and announce you're done with building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wanted something challenging but not too 'tweaky' that I could play through with my wife in the evening. We have GMT's 'Twilight Struggle' and do enjoy it, but were looking for something that plays out a little faster.

Blair, I recommend "1960 The Making of a President" from Z-Man Games when it comes back in print. It fits your criteria well. Yes, it is a game based on a historical U.S. election (which would probably seem obscure for someone from NZ) but it is a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:
You don't announce your purchases, you just figure out your spend in your head and then collect the counters (with rumor counters as you see fit). There is a very high level of trust in this game so all you should be doing together (if at all) is announcing your available build points. Then you independently place your hidden bunch of counters and announce you're done with building.

While it cannot be verified without a referee during play, purchasing honesty can be checked after the game is completed. Track the total of BPs spent by each player. At the end of the game, the value of their units and cards should be equal to or less than the BPs they spent. Remember that starting forces (including the second village on the home island group) should be excluded in this. If there is an overage, you have a potential cheater on your hands, or simply someone prone to honest mistakes. Or someone adept at passing off cheating as an honest mistake. Retitle this game "Conquest of Paranoia"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.